WEST KIRK AND HALL, Church of Scotland, WEST BRIDGEND ROAD
ACCESS : Easy access for all, although a few steps at the front. Check services and events.
B listed church. B listed hall.
Dumbarton West Kirk, to give it its full title, is actually a combination of two building. The hall was designed as a church by William Spence, architect in 1860, complete with vestry, tower and spire, and lower session house projecting to east. It was not long before the congregation needed to expand their premises and the current church was added, the original one becoming their hall. The newer building was designed by the architect John MacLeod in1887. It is a symmetrical, rectangular-plan Gothic church with gabled transepts at east, chancel, and low, transverse session hall and vestry to rear. [ LIsting text].
Quite a few architectural features catch the eye. These range from interesting carved stonework to the stained glass windows. The ornate hardwood pulpit is set off by the organ pipes and above and behind them is a rose window.
DUMBARTON WEST KIRK website : https://www.dumbartonwestkirk.org/
HISTORIC ENVIRONMENT SCOTLAND website for listed buildings : http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24920 and http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24919