PETER DENNY STATUE, Church Street, Dumbarton.
ACCESS : Easy access right up to it.
The assertive and proud figure of Peter Denny stands upon his pedestal overlooking Dumbarton's dominant traffic roundabout, cars and trucks and busses circling round with little reciprocal awareness. The statue of course was not meant for such a setting. The setting itself changed in atmosphere with the pushing through of the A814, Glasgow Road.
He stands in front of the elegant red sandstone MUNICPAL BUILDINGS (discussed separately) within the forecourt gardens.
The sculptor was Hamo Thorneycroft, RA. who created it in 1898. It was was erected in 1902. it stands on a white granite pedestal with a stepped base.
The inscription reads :
"PETER DENNY, LLD
ERECTED BY HIS FRIENDS
There are bronze relief panels on each side of the pedestal. The one shows the stern of a large ship under construction with extremely spindly scaffolding (an artist's means of getting the ship more visible). The other side is of general engineering machinery. They have been coated, either to make them stand out more and limit oxidation or to deter theft.
At the back of the plinth is a bronze scroll with a crest surmounted by the masonic emblems of raised fingers and star.
Also see : DENNY SHIPYARD index.asp?pageid=717882
This relief panel shows the stern of a large ship under construction with extremely spindly scaffolding (an artist's means of getting the ship more visible).
Peter Denny was the most notable of the Denny family who built ships in Dumbarton. In 1844 Peter became a junior partner alongside his brothers in Denny Brothers. He was responsible for managing the offices in that business. In 1849 the company was dissolved and reformed as William Denny and Brothers Limited. In partnership with John McAusland and John Tulloch, he formed a marine engineering company in 1850 (Tulloch and Denny). This complimented Denny's shipbuilding operations. William Denny died in June 1854 leaving Peter as the main partner in Dennys, while his other brother James retired in 1862. Tulloch also retired in 1862 and the engineering company was renamed Denny & Company. [Wiki]. The shipyards dominated the town and sustained it for a great part of its history. It is only fitting that his statue stands here.
Also see : DENNY SHIPYARD, DUMBARTON.
HISTORIC ENVIRONMENT SCOTLAND website for listed buildings : http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24882
WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE HERITAGE TRAIL : DUMBARTON : https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/media/2619068/dumbarton.pdf
WIKIPEDIA : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Denny : Peter Denny
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamo_Thornycroft : The sculptor Hamo Thornycroft. (A marble statue of his is in the Kibble Palace in Glasgow - "Stepping Stones" of a young mother and child).