OVERTOUN WEST LODGE, Garshake, Stirling Road, Dumbarton
ACCESS : Can be viewed from the roadway.
This fine house can be seen just off Stirling Road at the access up to the police station. It had been built as the gate lodge for Overtoun House to the designs by James Thomson of Glasgow, architect, in 1895, in the Scottish Baronial style.
It is in the nature of estate lodges that they are usually prominently situated on main roads at the junction with long driveways up to the main houses. This one is no exception. It is located on Stirling Road (A82) at what is now the turn off to the police station. But if seen in the perspective of time, this point now encircled by offices and housing, indicates the grandeur of Overtoun House and its estate stretching way beyond. There is much of that estate still surviving and that is discussed under its own section : OVERTOUN ESTATE.
Also see OVERTOUN ESTATE : EAST LODGE.
BRITISH LISTED BUILDINGS : https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/200361027-overtoun-west-lodge-overtoun-hospital-dumbarton#.X8fW0ulxdPY (See OVERTOUN HOUSE for hospital connection).