DUMBARTON SHERIFF COURT AND JUSTICE OF THE PEACE COURT, Church Street, Dumbarton.
ACCESS : Viewed from the road. This is an active courthouse.
Listed B. (Excluding modern extension).
Dumbarton Town Centre Conservation Area.
This fine building contributes to the streetscape and the designated Conservation Area and works well as a group alongside the restored Academy Building, now the Council offices and the tenements with shops along Church Street. The building has some particularly fine classical detailing to its front elevation. It is set abck from the road which also gives an increasd sense of formality appropriate to its purpose.
Dumbarton Sheriff Court was built in 1824 to plans by James Gillespie Graham. Internally, the court has exceptionally delicate metal work to the gallery. The various older alterations and extensions to the building are in keeping with James Gillespie Graham's 1824 scheme which is clearly discernible as the central section of the front elevation. The harsher modernist extensions are not covered by the listed status.
CANMORE : https://canmore.org.uk/site/121426/dumbarton-church-street-sheriff-court
HISTORIC ENVIRONMENT SCOTLAND website for listed buildings : http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24875