COCHNO HOUSE :
now COCHNO FARM AND RESEARCH CENTRE
ACCESS : Not generally open to the public.
///teamed.sugar.decompose The main building.
Also see : Hamilton Cemetery index.asp?pageid=717671
Cochno Farm, or as it is properly known, the Cochno Farm and Research Centre, sits on the slopes above Duntocher and Hardgate, a little west of Edinbarnet. It is part of University of Glasgow.
The University purchased the estate in 1954 when it consisted of 220 acres, including 42 acres of woodland. Today Cochno Farm and Research Centre extends to approximately 344ha (850 acres) and this facility plays a key role in the delivery of core teaching and research activities of the School of Veterinary Medicine, and affiliated Research Institutes of the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences.
The land is predominately south facing aspects and rises from approximately 400ft at the West Lodge Gate to over 1200ft at the northern limits of the estate at Jaw, Cochno and Black Lochs (whose fishing rights belong to the University).
In the 17th century, the Hamiltons of Barns were in possession, and lived on the estate. The core of the present mansion house was built for them in 1757. The classical design has been attributed to John Adam, a member of the famous 18th century family of Scottish architects. Additions were made in 1842, in the period of James Hamilton (10th of Barns), when a lower kitchen block was added. The wing was elevated by one storey later. [WDC].
John Bruce describes the Hamiltons of Cochno in some detail. (See the reference below). The following is an extract from his book.
The estate of Cochno or Cochna, passing into the possession of Lord Claud Hamilton, commendator of Paisley Abbey, was held in feu by Andrew Hamilton who is supposed to have been the eldest son of James Hamilton of Torrance. On the 25th August, 1550, James Boyle and James Thomson, as the Abbey Rental Roll informs us, resigned their portions of Western Cochnay in favour of Andrew Hamilton, captain of Dumbarton Castle, and his son John, and in the following year Easter Cochnay was feued to him and his heirs.
This is one of many references to Paisley Abbey indicating how much of this area north of the Clyde that they owned and influenced and how key people were involved.
Continuing quoting from John Bruce : For many years governor of Dumbarton Castle, he was besides Provost of Glasgow in 1541, 1553. and 1558, and sat in Parliament for the burgh in 1546. In 1552 John Palmer resigned the customs of Dumbarton un favour of Andrew Hamilton of Cochno; Agnes Crawford of Kilbirnie, his wife; and of their son Duncan, in fee. Andrew and his three sons sided with Queen Mary at the battle of Langside in 1568, and no doubt was the leader of the Hamilton contingent from Kilpatrick which took part in the fateful conflict.
These days we tend to think of South Lanarkshire as the centre of historic Hamilton influence, perhaps due to the town of that name and also the mausoleum there, but they had a predominant role here too. The following may explain something of their fading somewhat in this area.
In the "Diurnal of Occurents", .... "19th August, 1568, Andrew Hamilton of Cochnocht, Johne, this son and air, forfalfit after the battle of Langside"; and the same year Robert. Lord Sempill, was ordained by the council "to pass be himself or his servandis in his name, and tak and intromit with the same tour and fortalice Cochnocht, and keep and use the samyn in our Soveranis name".
On March, 1570, the Diunal again notes - "Andrew Hamilton, sonnes of Cochnach quha wes put in ward" for being the Place of Paisley after it was rendered. "14th June, 1571. Johne Hamiltone, son to Andrew Hamilton of Cochnoch, was beheaded for interprysing of the taking of Glasgow casteil". In 1572 Andrew Hamilton is returned as "among the traitors abd rebels of Cliddesdale".
By 1585, the Hamiltons were restored to the Royal favour and the family regained these lands and bought others. And we begin to find Hamitons again in highly influential positions in this area.
BRUCE, JOHN, History of the Parish of West or Old Kilpatrick and of the Church and certain lands in the Parish of East or New Kilpatrick. 1893. Republished by the Clydebank District Libaries and Museums Department, 1995. ISBN096938112. (Reference above p 274).
COCHNO FARM FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/CochnoFarm