BOWLING BASIN : LOCK KEEPER'S HOUSE, now known as Helenslea.
ACCESS : Ready access up to the boundary wall. It is currently unoccupied.
This house, also known as Helensea, was built in around 1896 for the Caledonian Railway Company, which owned both the Forth and Clyde Canal and the Monkland Canal. At the time, this canal was the main commercial artery across central Scotland. Prompt and efficient service was required to operate the locks and these here on the basins were even more crucial. Small lock keepers cottages can be found along the length of the canal. Here though we find a grander building in the form of flats to house the lock keepers.
It was designed in the Arts and Crafts style popular between around 1860 and 1910, to impress traders as they entered and left the Forth and Clyde canal.
It has been vacant for some time.
The upper basin looking across from the bridge to the Lock Keeper's House
WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE HERITAGE TRAIL : OLD KILPATRICK, BOWLING AND MILTON : https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/media/2619074/ok_booklet.pdf