ST MICHAEL'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, Cardross Road, Dumbarton.
ACCESS : Easy access. Check service times.
We tend to associate Listed Buildings with somewhat older and ancient building. This is not the case here. It is a very modern design in the true sense of design categorisation. It was designed by Gillespie, Kidd and Coia in 1972.
The practice was becoming famous for their application of modernism in churches and universities. The Catholic Church found that they well suited their ambitions to project a contempory and exciting presence and commissioned them to design several projects including ST PETER'S SEMINARY Cardross and ST MARGARET'S CHURCH in Clydebank (both covered separately). Though founded in 1927, it is for their work in the post-war period that they are best known. The firm was wound up in 1987.
Saint Michael’s Parish was founded for West Dumbarton in 1946. The Foundation Stone of this building was laid by Archbishop Donald Campbell on 23 November 1952. The Church, designed by J.A. Coia of Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, was opened two years later on 23 May 1954. [GK&C].
The listing text describes as a very long church with red facing brick with concrete dressings. The roof of copper has a low pitch. Defining features of the building are its diamond-shaped clerestory windows with rectangular windows. Compared to other Gillespie, Kidd and Coia designs this is a little austere, but is nevertheless appreciated for its place in modernist architecture and its contribution to West Dunbartonshire built heritage.
GILLESPIE KIDD AND COIA website : https://gillespiekiddandcoia.wordpress.com/church-st-michaels-church-dumbarton/
HISTORIC ENVIRONMENT SCOTLAND website for listed buildings : http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24871
ST MICHAEL'S DUMABRTON (Archdiocese of Glasgow) website : http://www.stmichael.rcglasgow.org.uk/