BRITISH LINEN BANK, currently the Counting House pub and restaurant, 17 - 21 High Street, Dumbarton
ACCESS : Fully accessible.
Dumbarton Town Centre Conservation Area.
This fine sandstone building was designed in the Late Gothic style by J Dick Peddie & George Washington Browne, architects, and built in 1897 for the British Linen Bank. (The bank had opened their Dumbarton office in 1884). It has some intricate detailed stonework including the town's Elephant & Castle motif above the arched doorway.
HISTORIC ENVIRONMENT SCOTLAND website for listed buildings : http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24886
SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT : https://www.gov.scot/publications/guide-conservation-areas-scotland/#:~:text=Conservation%20areas%20are%20crucial%20to%20the%20conservation%20of,larger%20boundaries%20and%20new%20ones%20have%20been%20added. Conservation Areas.
WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE HERITAGE TRAIL : DUMBARTON : https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/media/2619068/dumbarton.pdf
WIKIPEDIA : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Linen_Bank This gives a history of the bank from the 18th century on.