Rose (Ardnagrask, Urray)
For family tree see Rose (Ardnagrask) on Ancestry (subscription required)
John Rose [1748-1822] was an excise officer in Beauly who, in 1789, bought the lands of Ardnagrask in the parish of Urray. His oldest son, Hugh, went to Demerara and, in 1825, died in North America ‘where he had gone for the recovery of his health’ (Edinburgh Annual Register, Vol 18, 1825).
In March 1825 an advertisement was placed in the Inverness Courier (Inverness Courier, 24 March 1825) seeking ‘two house carpenters to serve an Apprenticeship of three years on a sugar estate in Demerara’. Applicants were to contact P Rose Esq, lately from Demerara, now at Ardnagrask [near Muir of Ord] or Mr Rose, writer in Dingwall. The first named was John Rose's brother, Patrick [died after 1845 and before 1847], who wrote his will in Demerara in 1828 [SC70/4/3]. He left his property in Demerara and Berbice to his six children there: Anne, Mary, Catharine, Elizabeth, Hannah, and Hugh.