Highland Scots - Easter Ross
In 1801 Hugh Rose of Glastullich, J Crawford Macleod (son of Donald Macleod of Geanies) and John Bethune (the son or the Rev Angus Bethune of Alness) entered into a partnership in plantation Geanies on the Corentyne coast of Berbice. The partnership was dissolved in 1808, when Rose withdrew, leading to creation of a new partnership betweeen Macleod and Bethune and the renaming of the planation as New Geanies. Subsequent legal action by Rose against Macleod continued until 1829.
It is noteworthy that those active in Guyana included seven men who were the sons of three clergymen in Easter Ross - the Revs. Bethune (Alness), Robertson (Kiltearn) and Rose (Tain).