A look back in time
E Griffiths' grocery shop in Commercial Street, the last of the traditional grocers in Neath, was run as a family business from 1947 to 1992. Formerly Arnold's, it originally served an area of industrial-era housing grouped in courts around a shared water tap and communal toilets situated between the Neath Canal and the Paddington railway line. After this area, known as The Green, was redeveloped with residents moved out to new housing estates, the shop then served a new clientele who preferred personal, across the counter service and those who attended the relocated cattle market.
....... Jeff Griffiths