Cuming of Craigmill/Craigmiln genealogy
Cuming of Craigmiln family and their connections with Guyana
Principal source: Scottish Notes and Queries, 1929
William Cuming, 2nd of Craigmill, married firstly, about 1693, Mary or Margaret, daughter of Thomas Ogilvie, merchant in Elgin, and had children —
1. Alexander Cuming, 3rd of Craigmill, married Elizabeth Tulloch. This was the ‘Alexander Cuming yr of Craigmill’ who died in 1746 in London, CC8/8/128]. The couple had at least seven children: William (later known as de Cuming), whose son Thomas de Cuming went to Demerara in 1800; Thomas Cuming of Demerara; and five daughters.
2. William Cuming.
3. Margaret Cuming, married Robert Grant of Dellachapel. She died 1777. [Possibly the parents of Donald Grant, who went to Demerara in 1800 and was referred to by Thomas Cuming as ‘a cousin of mine’(NAS GD23/6/364) but see alternative below.]
William Cuming, 2nd of Craigmill, married secondly Jean Falconer, and had issue one son and six daughters, the order of their births is uncertain, namely:
4. - Cuming
5. - Cuming, married Dr Tulloch, surgeon at Forres [probably Alexander Tulloch]
6. Catherine Cuming, married Robert Grant, W.S., Edinburgh [Possibly the parents of Donald Grant, who went to Demerara in 1800 and was referred to by Thomas Cuming as ‘a cousin of mine’(NAS GD23/6/364) but see alternative above.]
7. Anne Cuming, born 17th October, 1710; died 4th January, 1786; was buried at Alva, in Banff, 9th January, 1786; married 15th September 1735, John Rose, Sluie, merchant of Forres and had with others — 1. William Rose, Montcoffer, born 1740, died 1807. [Wm Rose’s son Andrew Rose went to Demerara and his daughter Anna Rose married in Demerara]
8. Jean Cuming, married Cuming and had a son, viz. : — 1. Capt. David Cuming, who died about 1809.
9. Rachel Cuming, married a Mr. Sinclair in Caithness.
10. Janet Cuming at Macduff died unmarried. Will 1791.
William Cuming, 2nd of Craigmill, married thirdly, in or before 1726, Jean Cuming, who was alive in 1736, and had issue by her —
11. Patrick Cuming of Ardcanny, born circa 1724, died 1811. [European Magazine, 1811: 14 April, at Blackhills, county of Moray, Patrick Cuming, Esq. aged 85; and gravestone ‘Sacred to the memory of Peter Cuming of Craigmill, Esquire, who died at Blackhills on the 14th April, 1811, aged eighty-five years’ show that Patrick and Peter are the same person.] He married Isobel Leslie, sister of Rev William Leslie of Balnageith, and their son, Lachlan Cuming, went to Demerara.