Highland Scots - Moray & Strathspey: George Ritchie
George Ritchie died in 1790, described in his will [Edinburgh Commissary Court CC8/8/128] as ‘formerly of Barbados, but last of the colony of Demerara’. His brother, John Ritchie (died 1798) was a merchant in Elgin who by this year had ‘on the river of Lossie, within a half mile of the town of Elgin . . . built . . . a mill for the manufactory of tobacco, a waulkmill, a flax mill, and bleaching machinery, which has brought to great perfection the bleaching of linens and thread’ (OSA, Parish of Spynie).