Dutch planters & merchants: John Haslin
John Haslin was a member of the Council of Demerara-Essequibo by 1781, when he was part of the delegation sent to negotiate the surrender of the colony to the British.
By 1786 Haslin owned three plantations in Demerara: two on the east bank of the river, including Vrindschap [Friendship], and one on the east coast. In 1798 he owned Bel Air on the east sea coast, and both Goed Succes and The Friendship on the east bank of the Demerary. He also had two abandoned sugar plantations on the east bank, t’Loo and Glasgow.
Haslin died in 1804, leaving a widow, Catherine (b1757 in the Netherlands). Haslin had been married before, his first wife and one child both dying in Demerara. A surviving daughter, Ann Catherine, was adopted by his second wife and left Demerara with her after Haslin’s death [Cases argued and determined in the supreme court of North Carolina].