What is going to happen to this building?
Above is the building formerly owned by Town Tyres. It is located in London Road near Victoria Gardens.
In Victorian times it was the garage and refuelling point for Neath's town gas powered trams that ran from Villiers Street in Briton Ferry to the White Gates in Skewen.
Later the building was a garage and petrol station under the name of Llew Evans before being owned by Town Tyres. Currently the building is not in use. Going by its age, we ask is it a listed building? It could certainly be a cherished one.
A refurbished tram, pictured above, can be seen at the Cefn Coed Colliery Museum, owned by NPT Council. Their website gives more information.
On the right is pictured a tram with the driver and conductor.
Neath Corporation took over the tramway services previously provided by the Neath and District Tramways Company. Unlike other local authority tramway modernisation programmes, Neath Corporation opted for town gas powered tramcars, The British Gas Traction Company supplied the tramcars, which stored town gas under compression in cylinders. The service started in 1897 and closed in 1920.
Planners / Councillors - please see the video below:
It would also be beneficial to view the videos highlighted on the screen at the end of the above video. They show what can be done by the National Lottery Fund (NLF) to old buildings. Progressive councils all over the country have benefited from the NLF. We are aware that Neath's Victoria Gardens benefitted from the NLF just a few years ago.