Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish
08 October 2013
History under Neath development

Neath Town Development stirs interest with local historian

Local historian, Keith Reed (left), tells us that although the Greyhound Tavern is not a listed building, hence its pending demolition with the Neath town development, it was the site of the Neath East Gate which existed until 1840.    In fact Keith is on record as suggesting the new town development should be called 'The East Gate Centre'.

Keith further suggests that during the demolition of the Greyhound Tavern a search should be made to find any remains of the (14th century?) East Gate, which was demolished for road improvements.   It would indeed add to the heritage factor and be another attraction to the town.

Keith is looking back at his records for more information on this area of the town.

Keith Reed claims that the Neath East Gate was on this site

The planners would make a wise move to consult local historians, Keith Reed included, and even the Neath Antiaquarians in order to make the most of what lies under Neath, which can be used to attract future visitors to the town.

Click for Map WikanikoWork from Home
sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement