Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

GIBRALTAR NORTH FRONT CEMETERY

Visiting Information: Opening times: Daily from 8am to 6pm. Location Information: The Gibraltar (North Front) Cemetery (also known as Garrison Cemetery) is located about 100 metres from the airport and about 300 metres from the harbour. It stands on the low peninsula off of Devils Tower road and behind St. Teresa's Church. GPS Co-ordinates: 36.149207, -5.344977. West of the cemetery, close to the sea, will be found the Gibraltar Memorial which commemorates, by name, 7 soldiers from the 1914-1918 War and 91 airmen and soldiers who died during the 1939-45 War who were buried at sea. The cemetery was used throughout the 1914-1918 War for the burial of sailors and soldiers who died on ships passing Gibraltar, or in the Military Hospital. The 1914-1918 War Graves are scattered in the different divisions of the cemetery. After that war, a Cross of Sacrifice was erected to the West of the cemetery, close to the sea, at the junction of the road into Spain and the Devil's Tower Road. Twenty-three burials belong to H.M.S. "Britannia," sunk by a submarine off Cape Trafalgar on the 9th November, 1918. There are also many graves of merchant sailors who died during the war from natural causes. The majority of the men who lost their lives while at Gibraltar during the 1939-1945 War are buried here. Most of their graves are in two adjacent plots at the northern end of the cemetery, but some are also scattered in other parts. The cemetery is situated on Crown land, and (with the exception of those privately owned) all the War Graves in it are registered in perpetuity in the Commission's name. (Text: CWGC)




Click for Map Ships and Harbours Image Library