|Argyll Mausoleum | sitemap | log in
|Spanglefish Gold Status Expired 04/12/2013.
We have MOVED websites!
This is an old site. To see our NEW website, follow this link:
Welcome to the Argyll Mausoleum web-site
The Argyll Mausoelum is located adjacent to Kilmun Church in the village of Kilmun, Argyll, Scotland on the shores of the Holy Loch. The history of Scotland has been associated with this area for thousands of years. The earliest known peoples settled here around 3500 BC; the 6th century Columban monk Fintan Munnu (Mun) built his chapel here; the Vikings explored here; thee was a thriving mediaeval community; and the Victorian wealthy built their villas. People have been making their mark here for centuries.
The Argyll Mausoleum was built in 1790 to house the remains of the Dukes and Earls of Argyll, Chiefs of the Clan Campbell, and their families. The current building replaces an earlier chapel and records indicate that Clan Campbell chiefs have been buried here since the 15th century. The last burial was of the 10th Duke in 1949.
This web-site summarises the history of the site and of the community-led project initiated in 2007 to restore this amazing building and open it for the first time to the public.
Argyll Mausoleum Limited
Company registered in Scotland SC363151
Registered Charity SC041413