Welcome to Fortrose Scottish Country Dance
Group's Website (Updated 15/01/2023)
Scottish country dancing is a great way of getting together with friends, making new friends and exercising both the body and brain. We dance jigs, reels and strathspeys to traditional Scottish music and the emphasis of our group is on having fun.
Our Group has been dancing for more than 70 years.
Dancing makes you feel good.
Happy New Year.
Our new term got underway on Monday 9th January and will run until Monday 17th April when we will have an end of term party.
Please be mindful to keep yourself and those that you come in contact with as healthy as possible - see the KEEPING HEALTHY tab.
Dancing to the music of Nicol Mclaren at recent Annual Dance
Key facts :-
- we meet in the Gordon Memorial Hall, Rosemarkie on Monday evenings from late September to mid April.
- the class starts at 7.30pm sharp and we generally finish about 9.30pm
- we're affiliated to the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.
- an evening's dancing costs just £3.
- beginners, experienced dancers and visiting dancers are all made welcome and each week's dance programme is always flexible enough to suit all levels of ability. It's best to contact Susan before attending for the first time.
- SCD is for everyone - our dancers ages vary from 17 to 70++. You just need to have reasonable mobility, a sense of rhythm and a sense of humour. We usually have about 20 dancers each week.
- we hold two main social events each year (see the OUR EVENTS tab) which are attended by dancers from near and far:-
- a Dance Rally, normally held on the third Friday of November, when we dance to a live band and have a buffet supper
- a party, in April (on the last night of our winter term) when we dance to a live musician and have a buffet supper
- some of our dancers attend the many dances, organised by other groups, that take place within reasonable travel distance. We've also been known to take part in the occasional dance competition and have even performed at an international folk dance festival in Austria! In November 2020 we took part in 'Unravelling the Celtic Knot' when we danced at Fortrose Cathedral.
Please use the tabs on the left for more information about our Group.