Welcome to Fortrose Scottish Country Dance
Group's Website (Updated 28/09/2022)
Scottish country dancing is a great way of getting together with friends, making new friends and exercising both the body and brain. We dance jigs, reels and strathspeys to traditional Scottish music and the emphasis of our group is on having fun.
Dancing makes you feel good.
The class restarted on Monday 26 September and we had an excellent evening. There were two sets of dancers made up of our regulars, several faces that we haven't seen for a couple of years due to covid and a dancer that's returned after a 20 year break.
Our Group celebrated its 70th Anniversary in 2018 at our Annual November Dance Rally.
Key facts :-
- we meet in the Gordon Memorial Hall, Rosemarkie on Monday evenings from late September to mid April.
- the class starts at 7.30pm sharp and we generally finish about 9.30pm
- we're affiliated to the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.
- an evening's dancing costs just £3.
- beginners, experienced dancers and visiting dancers are all made welcome and each week's dance programme is always flexible enough to suit all levels of ability. It's best to contact Susan before attending for the first time.
- SCD is for everyone - our dancers ages vary from 17 to 70++. You just need to have reasonable mobility, a sense of rhythm and a sense of humour. We usually have about 20 dancers each week.
- we hold two main social events each year which are attended by dancers from near and far:-
- a Dance Rally, on Friday 18 November this year, when we dance to a live band and have a buffet supper
- a party, on Monday 17 April in 2023, when we dance to a live musician and have a buffet supper
- some of our dancers attend the many dances, organised by other groups, that take place within reasonable travel distance. We've also been known to take part in the occasional dance competition and have even performed at an international folk dance festival in Austria! In November 2020 we took part in 'Unravelling the Celtic Knot' when we danced at Fortrose Cathedral.
Please use the tabs on the left for more information about our Group.
Some of our team members, together with Jimmy Hill (Adjudicator) and Gillian Cummings (Pianist). We competed in both the Ladies Section and the Mixed Section of the Inverness Music Festival at Eden Court in February, 2020. Both our teams were placed in the commended category of awards and the adjudicator praised us 'for giving a very good social performance'.