Welcome to Fortrose Scottish Country Dance
Our 2023 Annual Dance took place on Friday 17th November. Despite thick patchy fog we had a great turnout of dancers from near and far, all of whom enjoyed dancing a varied programme to the terrific music of the Glencraig Band (with Nicol Mclaren on accordion and Isobelle Hodgson on keyboard).
The 2023/2024 session is into full swing and it's great to see some new dancers, some returning dancers and our usual regulars. We've always got room for more!
Susan will update each Monday's Dance Programme (complete with cribs, diagrams and videos) on a weekly basis for those that like to do a bit of preparation. Just click on the Monday's Programme tab.
The last night of the 2022/2023 session concluded on Monday 17 April with a party. We had 50 dancers dancing to Susie Simpson's great music and we enjoyed an excellent buffet supper. Photographs of the evening can be found at https://www.cjcarrelphotography.co.uk/Fortrose-Scottish-Country-Dance-Group/n-PvdDKn/
Scottish country dancing is a great way of getting together with friends, making new friends and exercising both the body and brain. We dance jigs, reels and strathspeys to traditional Scottish music and the emphasis of our group is on having fun.
Our Group has been dancing for more than 70 years.
Dancing makes you feel good.
Key facts :-
- we meet in the Gordon Memorial Hall, Rosemarkie on Monday evenings from late September to mid April.
- the class starts at 7.30pm sharp and we generally finish about 9.30pm
- we're affiliated to the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.
- an evening's dancing costs just £3.
- beginners, experienced dancers and visiting dancers are all made welcome and each week's dance programme is always flexible enough to suit all levels of ability. It's best to contact Susan before attending for the first time.
- SCD is for everyone - our dancers ages vary from 17 to 70++. You just need to have reasonable mobility, a sense of rhythm and a sense of humour. We usually have about 20 dancers each week.
- we hold two main social events each year (see the OUR EVENTS tab) which are attended by dancers from near and far:-
- a Dance Rally, normally held on the third Friday of November, when we dance to a live band and have a buffet supper
- a party, in April (on the last night of our winter term) when we dance to a live musician and have a buffet supper
- some of our dancers attend the many dances, organised by other groups, that take place within reasonable travel distance. We've also been known to take part in the occasional dance competition and have even performed at an international folk dance festival in Austria! In November 2020 we took part in 'Unravelling the Celtic Knot' when we danced at Fortrose Cathedral.
Please use the tabs on the left for more information about our Group.
Please be mindful to keep yourself and those that you come in contact with as healthy as possible - see the KEEPING HEALTHY tab.