SpanglefishLaxton Parish on line | sitemap | log in

 

St Peters Church

The village of Laxton was part of the Bishop of Durham’s Howden lands and it appears not have had its own church or chapel until about 1330 when Laxton chapel was built with windows in the 'decorated style'. The church was initialy dedicated to St john the Apostle but changed names for some unknown reason to St Peters in the late medieval period.   Although patially rebuilt in the Georgian periiod it finally fell into disrepair and disuse in the middle of the 19th century and all that remains now is the chancel with its decorated east window and one small gothic north window It also has a altered, now Georgian south window . It can be visited by appointment only.  There is outside the west door an old 'stoop?', the stone base of possible a preaching cross found at nearby Church farm about twenty years ago.  

In the churchyard is the grave stone of Seth Lee, a East Riding Police Officer who died of constumption and another marker with the date (16)'th' the wrong way around 'ht'?


The present church, dedicated to St Peter, was built in 1875-6 and contains a good electronic organ and some attractive stained glass, (mainly Knowles and one Meyer of Munich) in memory of local families. Recently we have had a new free-standing nave altar made and dedicated from money given in memory of Herbert Martin, a local blacksmith. The photos show the ironwork used within the altar to reflect his craftsmanship.
As with any church, St Peter’s demonstrates that it is the people who are the church, the Body of Christ. Although we are a small congregation, our Sunday worship is always welcoming, warm and friendly. We are keen to continue to build on the links we have with the local community, through the agricultural seasons and festivals, and through the lively Rocky club – a children’s club that meets in the church every fortnight.

 

Map data ©2011 - Terms of Use1000 ft200 mMapSatelliteShow labels  Parish boundary 
Show entire parish
Our other churches 
Directions to St Peter, Laxton
Walking route Avoid highways
Load map in Google Maps


Rev'd Graham Thornalley
The New Vicarage
Portington Road
Eastrington, Goole
East Yorkshire
DN14 7QE
Tel: (01430) 410096 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (01430) 410096      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Regular ServicesOther EventsSundayMorning Prayer
Lay-led worship with hymns
Every second and fourth Sunday at 11:00 AM for 1 hour Holy Eucharist
Eucharist with hymns
Every third Sunday at 11:00 AM for 1 hour Carol Service A Carol Service for the whole family Tuesday 20th December 2011 at 6:00 PM for ¾ hour Christmas Morning Eucharist Holy Communion on Christmas Day with carols Sunday 25th December 2011 at 11:00 AM for ¾ hour  Calendar of forthcoming services and events List of all services and events in this benefice
Bookings
Visit our Church
Nurture Courses

Other informationThe Revd James Harry LITTLEThe Revd James Harry LITTLEThe Minster Rectory, Market PlaceHowdenGoole(01430) 432056 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (01430) 432056      end_of_the_skype_highlightingA Church Near You ID: 19175Archdeaconry: EAST RIDING (432)Deanery: HOWDEN (43206)Benefice: Howden (43/162AT)Parish Legal Name: Laxton (430356 43/356)CofE Church Info: (643356 43/356)URL: http://www.achurchnearyou.com/laxton-st-peter/Short URL: acny.co.uk/19175/QR Code:




Click for Map


site map | cookie policy | privacy policy