SpanglefishBARKINGSIDE F.C. UNOFFICIAL | sitemap | log in
This is a free Spanglefish 1 website.


18/09/09 Devereux quits taking Marsh and Thomas with him, Rossen takes over as manager for the Harlow Town game (19/09/09)





Wivenhoe Town 1 Barkingside 4 at Broad Lane

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round      ATT-72


Barkingside boss, Tony Fenn, was “over the moon” , as his side made light work of progressing in the FA Cup, in their first competitive match of the season.  And the Side boss has Chris Lewis to thank for a smooth path into the preliminary round, in a fortnight.


Lewis set the visitors on the way after just ten minutes, and when he added a second ten minutes into the second half, Barkingside looked to be progressing.


Dominic Harkins made it 3-0 with a quarter of an hour left, and Lewis completed his hat-trick, before the hosts hit an injury time consolation.



Stanway Rovers are next up, but that will be a home tie for Tony Fenn’s side, in a fortnight.


Match Details:

Barkingside: Glen Johnson, Simon King, Harry Stevens, Craig Dennis, Greg Thompson, Jamie Clark, David White (Danny Galloway), Chris Lewis (Mark Steadman) , Paul Carr, Lance McDowell (Carl Conway), Dominic Harkins

Subs: Lee Carter, Gavin Youll,

Wivenhoe Town 0 Barkingside 1 (Chris Lewis 10)

Wivenhoe Town 0 Barkingside 2 (Chris Lewis 55)

Wivenhoe Town 0 Barkingside 3 (Dominic Harkins 75)

Wivenhoe Town 0 Barkingside 4 (Chris Lewis 80)

Wivenhoe Town 1 Barkingside 4 (90+2)

Essex Senior League Cup Group D
Wednesday 20th August 2008

Kick-off 7.45pm

Venue: Wadham Lodge, Waltham Forest
v Mauritius Sports Association FC 2-0 (H.T.2-0)
Barkingside FC Line-up
1.Glen Johnson
2.Simon King
3.Harry Stevens
5.Greg Thompson (Captain)
6.Craig Dennis
7.Jamie Clarke
8.Danny Galloway
9.Chris Lewis (25mins, 39mins)
10.Paul Carr
11.Lance McDowell
12.Carl Conway
14.Lee Carter
15.Gavin Youll (for Craig Dennis)
16.Mark Steadman (for Lance McDowell)
17.Brad Jones (for Paul Carr)



Mauritius Sports 1 Barkingside 1
Essex Senior League

Barkingside were brought back down to earth with a bump, after their two impressive cup victories within the last week, as they opened their League campaign with a 1-1 draw at Mauritius Sports' Wadham Lodge Ground.
It had started well enough with striker Bradley Jones grabbing his first of the season, after impressing in the midweek league cup victory, also against Mauritius, netting the opener after 25 minutes. But Mauritius battled well for the remainder of the half  for an equaliser, and but for Side Keeper Glen Johnson would have been on level terms by half-time.
The Second half was a more frustrated affair with Barkingside pounding their opponents goal, with Chris Lewis, Bradley and Anthony Jones, as well as substitute Mark Steadman all going oh so close to increasing the lead, but it was to know avail.
The game would then turn on its head with ten minutes to go when an over-turned referee decision to a 'foul' on a Mauritius Sports player outside the Barkingside box giving a free-kick to Mauritius which was struck with power under the bar. Barkingside would not come back from this leveller. Manager Tony Fenn was aggrieved at the change of mind in the original outcome of the referee waving play on, and was asked to leave his dug-out post for protesting.
Barkingside will feel that 1-1 wasn't indicative of the effort that they put in, and will be hugely disappointed at two points dropped.

TEAM;- Johnson,King,Harkins,Youll,Ashby,Clarke(Carter),Callaway, Anthony Jones,McDowell(Steadman),Lewis,Bradley Jones   

Match report by Adam Dennehey
Monday 25th August 2008, Essex Senior League

Barkingside 0 Enfield 1
Enfield repeated their success from last season’s fixture at Oakside by winning a hard-fought encounter denting a blow to Tony Fenn’s sides early into the season.
In truth Barkingside were slightly under strength in midfield as they came up against a tough physical outfit in Enfield. Although Dominic Harkins was looking his best working his socks of in midfield, Side just couldn’t keep the ball long enough to gather an attack or any momentum.
Glen Johnson in goal overcame a slightly nervous start to perform wonders and made a fantastic save on the half hour from Sherwin Stanley. Stanley arguably the leader of Enfield’s attack was looking sharp and along with Enfield’s frontline of Lee Benmore, Danny Gabriel and Shaun Clarke looked a constant menace any time he picked up the ball.
Side8 0s frontline though was doing their workload up front. Both Chris Lewis and Brad Jones were making good runs but weren’t seeing enough on the ball. Any time they did get on the ball Enfield’s backline neatly took the ball of them.
The game though game to life in the second half. Jamie Clarke had a great chance to score minutes into the half but instead of shooting when the time was right waited a split second allowing his angle to get tighter and the midfielder missed his chance
That chance was to prove costly for the home team and five minutes later Enfield took the lead,  A great through ball from midfield found Sherwin Stanley out on the byline. The big target man took the ball inside Julian Ashby before firing a rasping drive straight at Johnson. Johnson could do no more than parry the ball straight back to the target man and with the outside of his foot h e slipped the ball into the far corner of the net. A great goal that Johnson could not be at fault for.
After that Enfield turned the screw on the game ad Johnson was forced into making some smart saves from Clarke, Gabriel and Stanley again from close range. Tony Fenn had to make changes to re-charge the side and sub Lance McDowell almost leveled the game 2 minutes from time but his volley at the far post struck the bar following a high cross into the box.
It wasn’t to be Side’s day and to make matters worse sub Anthony Jones was sent off in injury time following a flare up on the halfway line. It was harsh as Enfield’s keeper Steve Wright ran the best part of 35 yards to get involved in the scuffle which resulted after a hefty challenge only to fall down dramatically when Jones was pushed into him. Side must now bounce back next week at home to Stanway Rovers in the Cup.
 Barkingside: Glen Johnson, Simon King, Carl Charlery, Julian Ashby,  Craig Dennis (Paul Carr), Danny Callaway,  Jamie Clarke, Dominic Harkins (Anthony Jons), Chris Lewis, Brad Jones, Mark Steadman (Lance McDowell) 




Barkingside 0 Stanway Rovers 4 at Oakside

FA Cup Preliminary Round
Adam Dennehey Reports

Barkingside slumped to an embarrassing defeat against Stanway to crash out of the FA Cup at the second hurdle this season. To say the defeat was nothing but unacceptable would be an understate ment as Side barley troubled Stanway who were fitter, sharper and better.
Barley ten minutes had gone and Glen Johnson in goal had been forced into a handful of saves already. Side though didn’t wake up and after the visitors had another long spell of pressure they finally went ahead through a Sam Newson snapshot inside a crowded penalty area.
Already the writing looked on the wall and as Side sat back the visitors doubled their lead before half time. A free kick out wide was put in the danger area and after some hesitation in goal by Johnson, Stanway’s Alex Brennan nodded the ball back across goal for Michael Burch who simply tapped it home.
It got even worse for Side in the second half as they showed no organization. Only Anthony Jones in midfield and Johnson in goal could come out with any credit. The strikers couldn’t be blamed due to the fact they barley saw the ball.
Two similar moves in the space of 25 minutes helped put some more reality on the scoreline with Luke Callender and Rob Thorne both convincly finishing inside the box when set up by Ben Newson. Side now will need to bounce back quickly or some questions will have to be answered!

Side: Johnson, Carter, Stevens, King, Dennis, Callaway, Cl arke, A Jones, Lewis, B Jones, Steadman Subs: Carr, McDowell

Tuesday 2nd September 2008


Barkingside put their disappointing FA Cup exit last Saturday behind them to record an outstanding League Cup victory at Sawbridgeworth Town last tuesday night.
The game was only 4 minutes old when Paul Carr hit the first of his two brilliantly taken goals, and might well have had a first half hat-trick but for the home keeper. He was joined on the score sheet just over ten minutes later when Chris Lewis hit his sixth goal of the season. Sawbridgeworth hit back to make the score-line 2-1, but the balance was redressed just before half time when Paul Carr hit his second of the game and Side's third.
The second half was all Barkingside with some sublime passing and forward play and further goals came by way of a super strike by Jamie Clarke closing in on goal from the right, and a thunderous free-kick by Captain Craig Dennis ending the game with the score an impressive, but well deserved, 5-1 victory to Side.

sub not used: Callaway 

Paul Carr (4mins),(42mins)
Chris Lewis (15mins)
Jamie Clarke (68mins)
Craig Dennis (81mins)


by Rob Meyers

Barkingside must be wondering what they have to do to gain their first win of the season in the league after a disappointing result at newly promoted Essex Olympian side Takeley. This after their superb win at Sawbridgeworth Town in the League Cup the previous tuesday.
Conditions weren't great from the off, the pitch was very slippery from all the rain prior to kick-off and there was a delay in kicking off due to the referee being unwell meant that Barkingside had to continue training for another 20 minutes on the pitch before the game could start. That all being said Barkingside started the brighter team under the gloom of the clouds with Paul Carr hitting an unstoppable shot, but stop it the home keeper did going down well to his right to palm the ball away. Mark Steadman then had a chance to score coming in from the left to header well, but no goal came from it. 
The second half produced chances for both sides, neither of which were able to convert into goals, until 67minutes of play when Takeley went into the lead. Barkingside pressed relentlessly until the final whistle for an equaliser, but it wasn't to be. Barkingside will now have to re-group and re-focus for Saturday's home clash with Clapton.

White,Clarke,Tolan,Carr,Lewis(B.Jones),Steadman (Stanley)
subs not used;Harkins,Youll 

Barkingside 3 Clapton 0 at Oakside
Essex Senior League
Adam Dennehey Reports
Barkingside at the fourth attempt finally got their first win in the league this season after a comprehensive win against a very young Clapton side.
From the start Side were looking sharp and should have taken the lead early on.  Luke Stanley newly brought into the squad was looking quick and after cutting inside from the left had his shot saved by Clapton’s Wright in goal. The rebound fell to Brad Jones who looked odds-on to score however his shot was blocked on the line by Clapton’s Hanif when it looked impossible to miss.
The first half was very much all about Wright in goal as he kept the visitors in the game with fine saves from Jones, Paul Carr and Jamie Clarke. Clapton’s only chance of the half in any note fell to their winger Salvador but he shot over when inside the box.
Side’s boss Tony Fenn knew that an early goal in the second half would probably give them the confidence to win the game. After several corners which were scrambled away, Side’s Carr nicked inside his marker on the edge of the box and found Jordan Tolan inside the box with a cross and the midfielder headed home.
After Brad Jones squandered another chance, Tony Fenn brought on young Chris Lewis. The striker made an impact with 2 goals to seal the game. His first came minutes after coming on when he headed home following a brilliant cross from Stanley out on the right. Then in the dying stages of the game he scored his second as he stabbed home from close range after a scramble in the penalty area.
Overall it was a good win for Side and they will now look forward to 2 upcoming games at home versus Mauritius Sports in the next week. 

Barkingside: Wooley, King, Stevens, Thompson, Dennis, Tolan, Clark, Harkins (White), Brad Jones, Paul Carr (Chris Lewis), Stanley.

Barkingside v Mauritius Sports FC
Essex Senior League Cup Group D
Wednesday 17th Sept.2008
Team Line-up ;
1. Joe Woolley
2. Simon King
3. Harry Stevens (Tom Chapman 59mins)
4. David White
5. Terry Scotchmer 53mins
6. Craig Dennis (Danny Callaway 45mins)
7. Luke Stanley (Jamie Clarke 81mins)
8. Greg Thompson
9. Chris Lewis 12mins, 63mins
10.Brad Jones
11.Jordan Tolan
12. Dominic Harkins
14. Laurence Jones
15. Jamie Clarke
16. Danny Callaway
17. Tom Chapman

Barkingside 4 Mauritius Sports 1 at Oakside
Essex Senior League
Adam Dennehey Reports
Barkingside earnt their second win of the week against Mauritius after a stylish performance at Oakside. Side had already beaten their opponents 3-1 in the Essex Senior League Cup Group match on Wednesday but weren’t taking their opponents for granted today.
Side started well with Chris Lewis and Brad Jones looking lively linking up with Side’s wingers causing Mauritius problems. Young Lewis was unlucky to have a goal ruled out after a push in the box on a defender. Moments later Lewis should have scored but his volley went over the bar following a good cross from Jones.
Side finally got the goal they wanted on 39minutes. Jordan Talon linked up well with Greg Thompson in midfield and put a great ball into the box which Jones nicked past the goalie to score a deserved goal.
Any chance of Tony Fenn having a relaxed half-time team talk was gone moments later when the visitors scored a fortunate goal on the break. There was no doubting Steve Opoka did well to split the home defence but his shot from a tight angle should have been saved at his feet by Joe Woolley in goal instead of trickling in.
That goal gave the visitors confidence and they looked a lot better in the second half controlling the ball in midfield. However Side were looking the more creative out of the two and after a long spell of pressure finally retook the lead.
A good ball from Greg Thompson found Jamie Clark out wide and the winger skipping away from his marker played a neat one-two with Davie White. Clarke was away and once into the box fed the ball back to White who turned inside the box before sending the ball over Kwambana in goal to give Side the lead.
That goal thirteen minutes from time was too much for the visitors and Side full of confidence added 2 goals minutes from the end. Clarke got Side’s third after dribbling through the box and lashing home and sub Mark Steadman scored  the fourth after being set up by Lewis, slotting home into the far corner.

Barkingside: Joe Wooley, Steven King, Harry Stevens, Danny Callaway, Craig Dennis, Davie White, Jamie Clarke, Jordan Tolan, Brad Jones (Mark Steadman), Chris Lewis, Greg Thompson
27th September 2008 (by;-Rob Meyers)
Not since January 2004 had Barkingside suffered such a resounding defeat in the Essex Senior League. Then it was Burnham Ramblers, but this time it was a Southend Manor side who had the good fortune of scoring at will at times with some crisp finishing. You could be forgiven for thinking though that the scoreline suggested that Barkingside in some way had been humiliated, but time and time again they pressed through on the Manor's goal, but found their shooting just high and wide, though it wasn't for the lack of trying, they threw all the had at the Manor with Chris Lewis, David White and Greg Thompson all going close. But it's goals that count, and Southend Manor took their chances to record a fine victory over their opponents and pay them back for the 4-1 defeat that Barkingside inflicted on them last season at their Southchurch Park Arena ground. The two clubs meet again, same place, tuesday evening for an Essex Senior Cup tie.
TEAM: Howard,King(Steadman),Stevens,Callaway,Dennis,White,Clarke,

Barkingside 2 Bowers & Pitsea 2
F.A.VASE 1st Round Proper
by;- Rob Meyers
Barkingside FC managed to score what was an impossible replay, and keep their hopes of reaching the 2nd round of this years F.A.Vase competition alive at Oakside last Saturday.
Chris Lewis opened the scoring for the 'Side on 24 minutes with a neat finish and should have added to this score-line. But it was Bowers & Pitsea midfielder Birkett who managed to grab an equalizer on half-time to send the Bowers team in much the happier than Barkingside.
The second half was a scrappy affair with Bowers probably having the best of the half. Though it was only once the game had gone into injury time that the match came alive when Bowers Striker V.John put them ahead for the first time in the match, sending their players and supporters into wild celebrations.
Anyone thinking however that this was to be the last kick of the game was very much mistaken as 'Side, from the kick-off moved everyone upfield and put enormous pressure on the Bowers goal in the dying seconds, and it was this that got the most talked about incident of the game as Barkingside striker Chris Lewis was up-ended by the Bowers goalkeeper as he went through on goal.
The referee gave a penalty which enraged all the Bowers players, bench and supporters and were not forgiving in their comments to the match officials. A melee broke out between players resulting in the Bowers & Pitsea manager being sent to the stands, as well as a red card for one of their players.
It was eleven minutes into injury-time before Chris Lewis was able to compose himself and step up to cooly slot the ball home for an amazing equalizer, his 12th goal in all competitions this season for Barkingside.
Extra-time was played but without too many chances, Gregg Thompson with the best of them, forcing a superb save from the Bowers keeper, it should have won the match for the 'Side, but it didn't and they must do it all again Wednesday evening.


Bowers & Pitsea 0 Barkingside 2
(F.A..VASE 1st Round Replay)
Wednesday 8th October 2008
Rob Meyers Reports......
Barkingside progressed through to the next round of the FA VASE with a comfortable win at Bowers&Pitsea last Wednesday, but it was the manner in which they attained this win that they, and supporters alike, will remember this match for.
Indeed, right from the first whistle Barkingside set about putting the match out of Bowers' reach and, but for the heroics of the home keeper Jamie Clarke would have scored direct from a corner. The solid back four of King, Ashby, Dennis and Stevens kept everything that Bowers had to offer out, and that they did this superbly. Jordan Tolan and Jamie Clarke showed great pace on the wings, with Greg Thompson and Dominic Harkins holding the midfield line.
It was only a matter of time before the inevitable would happen, that of the opening goal for the 'Side, and that came courtesy of a Bowers player smashing the ball home as it was whipped in viciously within two minutes of the second half, a lead which would be doubled in the 71st minute by Chris Lewis within the penalty box area as he struck the ball past the keepers' near post. This was Chris Lewis' 13th goal in 13 games.

Every player played a 'blinder', helping each other out, and chasing down everything for ninety minutes. Side created chances and defended resolutely, and it gave them a thoroughly deserved win which they will take into the next round when they face Harefield Town.

Stansted 2 Barkingside 0
(Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy)
Saturday 11th October 2008
In an uncharacteristic slip up, Barkingside managed to lose a game last Saturday at Stansted FC which seemed impossible- given the chances they had and their possesssion of play.
Despite going into the match with only 11 fit players, and having some players playing out of their regular position Barkingside must have been briming with confidence after their triumph over Bowers & Pitsea in midweek, and certainly initial play would have suggested this with Callaway and Harkins deputizing in defence with Simon King and Harry Stevens, but it was the Stansted Keeper Matt Cope keeping everything quiet on the score-line front. He wasn't the only keeper performing well as 'Side Joe Woolley produced an impossible-looking double save in the first half also.
The Second Half was much as it was the first, a Jamie Clarke free-kick smashing the cross bar the best of the chances.
With ten minutes to go however it was Stansted with two chances to capitalize on the 'ball into box', that they took and probably flattered the final score. By no means a disgrace for the 'Side, but on the day it was Stansted who will progress to the next round.

Rob Budd Reports
Essex Senior Cup 2nd Round
Southend Manor 4 v  Barkingside 2

It was a case of third time unlucky for Barkingside F.C. on a cold and wind swept Tuesday evening.
First traffic called the original game off secondly the FA Vase replay clash for Side meant that this game was finally played much to the despair of the loyal Suppoters that had made the short journey to the Manor.
Side were forced before the game to field Assistant Manager John Doyle in the Number 1 spot, due to their regular Keeper Joe Wooley accepting a transfer to Thurrock F.C.
The first half produced many chances for both sides and was a real nail biting battle, great end to end football was created and it was a case of anyones game.
Manor took the lead twenty minutes into the match, when a superb free-kick from Ter ry Baker was headed goal bound by Dave Kreyling, and that left Chris Badderley to nip in in front of Doyle and slot home with much ease.
Side did not give up pushing and on the 35th Minute a great piece of work from Jordan Tolan ensured that they were on level terms as he pushed the ball past Goalkeeper Adam Seal.
The second half was a much different game and Manor came out with a vengence, Chris Badderley scored a rocket of a second goal from a full 25 yards out, which Doyle bearly saw.
Manors Danny Coulson was then shown the mighty Red Card for an off the ball incident putting Side straight back in the game.
With Thirty Minutes remaining on the clock, Manor pulled back and went into defensive mode, allowing Side once again to make breaks and sure enough 15 minutes from time Chris Lewis scored a fantastic goal, picking the ball up on the right wing, and gliding past 3 to 4 defenders before smashing the ball comftably home inside the far post.
With just 5 minutes remaining Chris Badderley played in recent substitute Welcome Mitshali who laid the ball back to Jay  scoring  a rebound from a shot and smashing in from close range, this silenced the Barkingside F.C. crowd.
2 minutes remaining and still all to play for, Manor wrapped up the evening when Dominic Harkins was badly failed near the Manor box, the ref wasnt having any of it and Manor cleared the ball up field to a waiting Martin Fiander, Ross Webster was then released with a clear run on goal from the halfway line, slotting home in style to really put the game to bed.
Southend Manor now face Chelmsford City away in the next round leaving Barkingside to concentrate on League, Vase and League Cup duties.


Adam Dennehey Reports
Essex Senior League
Barking 1 Barkingside 1
It was a point a piece at Mayesbrook Park as a late Chris Lewis goal for Barkingside cancelled out a fine Danny Brook goal for the hosts. In truth Barking were the better team with Side having few chances.
The visitors should have had a very early lead, but Chris Lewis uncharacteristically shot straight at Leigham Stone in goal when clear in the box. It was a great chance for the striker who’d have to wait the best part of 80 minutes before he got another chance against the keeper.
After that Barking got on the ball and looked dangerous.   Danny Brook and Danny Vincent were causing danger down Barkingside’s left flank. It was only due to good defending from skipper Craig Dennis and Harry Stevens in defence that Barking failed to get any early clear cut chances as they put in some great blocks.
On the stroke of half time though, Side’s defence should have been beaten. Leading goalscorer Jimmy Noakes was found perfectly following a corner but the striker got his shape all wrong and failed to make any real contact from a few yards out.
Side almost had a great start to the second half, but striker Brad Jones was a few yards short of getting onto Jordan Tolan’s pass and the half-chance was gone. Barking then came back into it and Noakes was thwarted twice in his attemps to score. Once from goalkeeper Paul Daley and once from Simon King who made a great block at the back post.
Just after the hour though Barking deservedly took the lead. Good hustling by Noakes found Jamie Murat and the midfielder crossed the ball in the box where Brook powered the ball home, giving Daley no chance.
Paul Daley almost gifted the home side a second when he let a Joe Tungate shot slip through his gloves. The ball appeared to be going in but the keeper got back to the ball just ahead of Noakes rushing in, to save face.
Both Tony Fenn and Dave Ross changed things towards the end. Jonny Ojo off the bench for Barking looked sharp and a great run from him on the wing set up Jerome Ingram but he volleyed wide of the goal and the chance was gone. In the dying stages with Barking defending deep, Side went for it and got an equaliser. A ball in midfield found its way through to Lewis who rounded Stone before firing home.
Barking: Stone, Adejokun, Doyle, Vincent, Greenwood, Tungate, Brook (Osman), Murat, Noakes, Ingram, Miller (Ojo)
Barkingside: Daley, King, H Stevens (Callaway), B Stevens, Dennis, A Jones (Steadman), Clarke, Tolan, Lewis, B Jones , Simmons


Barkingside impressed on a very damp Monday evening, beating Hullbridge Sports 4-1.
New Side keeper Paul Daley again impressed with a fine set of saves through out the match, which was combined with a very strong forward line, inparticular Chris Lewis on fine form banging in two to notch up his League goal tally to five.
Side now look forward to entertaining 2nd placed Basildon this Saturday which is sure to be a great game.

                JAMIE CLARKE 44MINS
                CHRIS LEWIS 45MINS, 87MINS

Barkingside 2 Basildon United 1 at Oakside
Essex Senior League
Adam Dennehey Reports
Tony Fenn’s Barkingside held off a tough Basildon outfit to grab all the 3 points at Oakside. The result was a vastly important one for Fenn who has called on his side to be more clinical in the past weeks.
With Monday’s win over Hullbridge under their belt, the team started well and after some pressure took the lead. A ball from the midfield was headed on perfectly by Chris Lewis. His strike partner Brad Jones ran onto the ball and took the ball in his stride before finishing cooly past Richard Mann in goal.
Fifteen minutes later, Jones scored his second. A ball into the box by Jordan Tolan flashed across goal and with Basildon’s defence sleeping, Jamie Clarke poked the ball back across goal on the by-line where Jones tapped home. It was a real confidence booster for the experienced striker who has come in for criticism in recent weeks for his lack of goals. Hopefully he’ll be a more consistent scorer from now on.
Basildon hadn’t threatened the home goal much as Side had full control of the game, but on the stroke of half-time they pulled a goal back. Moments after Paul Daley had tipped a Bryan Hyland shot over the bar, Basildon got their goal. A rare mistake on the ball from Greg Thompson gifted the visitors’ possession. Micky Lee took full advantage of this and from the right wing he put a brilliant ball into the box which was headed home brilliantly by Oli Baker.
It was a dreadful time to concede a goal and completely changed the course of the game, never mind Tony Fenn’s halftime teamtalk. The second half was a nervy affair for Side and in all truth they failed to get any grip on the game. The defence worked their socks off with both the Steven’s in defence working hard. Leon Diaczuk back for another spell with the team looked good in the centre of midfield and tracked back well in the second half.
For all Basildon’s pressure they failed to create any real clear cut chances. Their best chance of an equaliser came 10 minutes from the end. Basildon’s subs Anton Dwyer linked up well with Dave King in midfield before shooting from 30yards. The ball looked to be going well wide before striking Side’s skipper Craig Dennis and going narrowly wide of the goal with Daley well beaten.
After that Side saw the game out with ease and grabbed a moral-boosting win that will hopefully give them confidence going into the next couple of weeks.
Match Details:
Barkingside: Paul Daley, Dominic Harkins, Harry Stevens, Brad Stevens, Craig Dennis, Leon Diaczuk, Jamie Clarke, Greg Thompson, Chris Lewis, Brad Jones and Jordon Coloam.
Subs: Danny Calloway, Andrew Jones, Simon King, Barry Simmons and Dave White.
Barkingside 1 Basildon United 0 (Brad Jones 10)
Barkingside 2 Basildon United 0 (Brad Jones 25)
Barkingside 2 Basildon United 1 (Oli Baker 44)

Wednesday 29th October 2009
Barkingside FC Team
1.Paul Daley
2.Simon King
3.Harry Stevens
4.Brad Stevens
5.Craig Dennis
6.Danny Callaway
7.Jamie Clarke
8.Gregg Thompson
9.Mark Steadman
10.Brad Jones 28mins
11.Jordan Tolan 76mins
12.Chris Lewis (for Mark Steadman) 89mins
14.Dominic Harkins (for Brad Jones)




Essex Senior League Match

Rob Budd Reports ............

Barkingside were back at "The Manor", once again for what the Non League Paper regarded as "The Best Match In The League!" and indeed it had all the ingrediants. From the off it was obvious Side wanted revenge for the unlucky 4-3 only days previous, but with Manors defence proving strong it didnt take Dean Frett long to whip in a well timed cross to an awaiting Jeey Nkrumah who in turn thumped the ball into the far corner with 17 minutes on the clock.

Both sides then had their fair share of play and it wasnt until the 42nd Minute that a superb cross from Keiron King met the head of goal scoring hero Jerry Nkrumah to make it 2-0.

With half time around the corner and a streched Manor defence Jordan Tolan was able to nip in and tuck in a very neat 45th Minute goal to put Barkingside back int he game. Side now were full of self confidence and leading goal scorer Chris Lewis added to Sides first to even up on the 48th Minute. And added a Premiership like goal celebration to the delight of the away fans.

With Side now in full match control it wasnt long before Barry Simmons then put the Side in the lead for the first time with a 62nd Minute goal.

Side then looked like gaining all 3 precious points but then Manor again struck, Richard Simpson caught Paul Daley napping and punished him dearly with an excellent solo effort, gliding past many Barkingside defenders before making the net buldge.

An excellent game all round and a draw was a very fair result to the netruals point of view, an after match interview with Tony Fenn had the Side manager reeling that his team should of indeed won it.




Monday 3rd November 2008 - V ETON MANOR (HOME)


Rob Budd Reports .......................

The Barkingside pitch was in great condition considering all the rain that had fallen on it and both sides were soon making use of the slick surface This was apparent as Chris Lewis scored his 19th goal of the season of 20 games, to put Side 1 up.

Manor however were far from deflated and The Manor were forced to reorganise now but this serious setback only seemed to spur them on and after good approach play down the right, a cross came in that was only half cleared and Dean Frett was on hand to drive in the equaliser on the stroke of half time.

Although Side pushed Manor to the limits in the second half it was one of those games for them and it was no surprise when the Manor went ahead after Jordan Childs, the opposition keeper went for a cross , the ball broke free and Childs netted from close range. Paul Daley was clearly to blame and this silenced the travelling Barkingside fans who have had mixed emotions abotut he new Keeper.

Eton Manor Manager Kevin Durrant was quoted as saying after the match , " It took us quite a while to get going in the first half and we were a shade fortunate to go in at half time on level terms. As soon as the second half started though, we upped the tempo and even with the enforced changes we took the game to Barkingside and everyone gave 100% to see us through . Barkingside are a good side and will beat a lot of teams here this season. The only downside tonight was the serious injury to Scott Lovett and we all wish him a speedy recovery as he has been a key member of the side"

Barkingside must now win on Monday 10th November (to be played at Cricklefields, Ilford), a draw simply will not be enough to see the Side through into the ever awaiting Quarter Final draw.

Barkingside Treasurer Alan Budd commented, " Barkingside must get back into winning ways, currently we have been giving away far too many points in the League and I expect Sawbridgeworth Town on Monday to be no walkover. They are a good Side with a well organised system, but on our day we can fire on all cylinders.


Saturday 8th November 2008 - V STANSTED (HOME)


Rob Budd Reports .............................

Barkingside were given a League wake up call today, after throwing away a first half lead to loose 2-1 against strugglers Stansted.


Bradley Jones put the home side ahead half an hour into the match with a fine right footed shot.

It looked like another three points for Side. But just two minutes into the second half Barkingside’s goalkeeper was sent off giving away a penalty. Paul Daleys hot head of late has cost Side dearly in both League and Cup games and this game was no different.


The Penalty was easily put away due to the Side having to rely on a Wing Back to cover the Sent Off Keeper and from there the away side took advantage of the extra man and scored not soon after to secure a vital win for Stansted.


Although at times Side did look to play some fluent football, Stansted always looked in the second half to have the upper hand and be in total control of the match, keeping a much frustrated Chris Lewis very quiet.


Barkingside must now travel to Middlesex to take on Harefield in the FA Vase next Saturday.


Match Details:

Barkingside 1 Stansted 0 (Bradley Jones 29)

Barkingside 1 Stansted 1 (pen)

Barkingside 1 Stansted 2



Harefield United 2  v Barkingside  F.C. 1


Barkingside F.C. nearly pulled off another Vase shocker this afternoon takng on Harefield United the oldest club in Middlesex.

From the off it looked very even both sides giving great accounts on the field, but in the 14th minute, Harry Stevens made a fatal error clearly pushing a Harefield striker in the box the Ref having no troubles in pointing straight to the spot.

From there Chris Drake who has been having a fine season so far for the Hares slotted home the penalty which Side goalie Paul Daley narrowly missed out on saving.

Side pushed Harefield soon after and on 20 minutes were nearly rewarded for their efforts, Bradley Jones only just putting the ball wide of the keepers goal.

A break in play was light relief for the fans as they witnessed one of the Refs Assistants loose a much needed contact lense not something that is very familiar to the game.

Anthony Jones was soon after released in what some fans thought was an offside postion to level the game up at 1 a piece.

Both managers went about their business at the break and the teams for the second half came out with all guns blazing.

Harry Stevens lax defending was all too apparent in the second half too, as Harefield again forced Barkingside into making Paul Daley pull off more glorious saves to keep Side in it.

And the pressure finally paid off when on the 65th minute a great build up in play allowed fans favourite Ben Rowen to smash the ball to the right handed side of the net to then wave away all doubt who would secure the win.

From there Barkingside could only muster a few half chances, with top scorer Chris Lewis coming close several times before the final whistle was blown.


ATT- 188


Barkingside: Dailey, Parkins, Strevens, Colloway, Dennis, Tolan, Clarke, Thompson, Lewis, B. James, Andy James.


Subs: Stedman, Walsall, Doyles, Symmans, Jake White.


Harefield United 1 Barkingside 0 (Chris Drake 14 Pen)

Harefield United 1 Barkingside 1 (Anthony Jones 29)

Harefield United 2 Barkingside 1 (Ben Rowen 65)

Stansted 2 Barkingside 1

Essex Senior League Cup Quarter Final 1st Leg

Rob Budd Reports .............................

Barkingside must of felt a slight rush of history repeating itself as the last time these clubs met the score line was again 2-1 in Stansteds favour. From the off Stansted pushed Side and didnt let up, forcing the tempermental goalkeeper Paul Daley to be kept very busy.

Early on in the 10th minute Danny Demetriou found the net, a great break and one, two play from Stansted left Barkingside defenders looking lost Side defender Harry Stevens again giving a very poor performance of himself.

A goal up and Barkingside seemed all over the place and it was soon after in the 25th minute a goal mouth scramble was the last Side Keeper Daley saw of the game, crashing down to the ground on his shoulder and screaming out in agony in amongst this incident happening Jack Dallender popped the ball at pace towards the vancant Barkingside goal.

Manager Tony Fenn was then forced to put on his assistant manager John Doyle who is registered at the club as a goalie, much to the shock and horror of the away fans fearing the worst  as the game seemed to be going from bad to worse for the away team.

All credit must go to Doyle who not only kept a clean sheet but gave the team a much needed talking to whilst comanding his goal mouth area.

The away Side then was rewarded with a fine build up goal that should of been tapped in by Chris Lewis but ended up being put in by Brad Jones via a very brave diving header to smash the ball in the back of the net.

Bearing in mind the lax play from many of the Side players and the Goalkeeping nightmare they suffered, many fans were pleased when the final whistle was blown a mere 2-1 defeat, Stansted clearly not punishing Side like they should of.

The two clubs now meet for the second leg of the quarter final which is billed for 13th December at the Oakside.


Burnham Ramblers V Barkingside 29/11/08 Essex Senior League

Rob Budd Reports .............................

A cold, bitter Saturday afternoon was the stage for yet another Essex Senior League match up. Burnham having played their last 4 league games, winning 3 and drawing 1 looked the favourite out of the two sides for this match but Barkingside had other ideas.

Both teams started out a little hesistant to make a mistake, as Barkingside fielded a new Goalkeeper Cope to replace the injured Daley. Chances were few and far between in the early stages of the game neither goalkeeper really being fully tested. Barkingside fans would of remembered Burnhams keeper "Rob Small" from pre season games as he moved back to Burnham from Barkingside in the early stages of the season.

The first goal was scored by the home side when John Bradley slotted home a fine goal on the 52nd minute to beat Cope. Barkingside never looked like scoring from there until a goalmouth scramble saw the ball hit Jamie Abobotts left arm clearly obstructing the ball in its direction of flight. Enter fans favourite and 2 time player of the season Chris Lewis to calmly slot home the resulting penalty against Small sending the ball to the left on the 65th minute and making sure now the visitors had something to play for.

Burnham then pressed Barkingside who to be fair had been all over the place for the second half, being second to every ball and generally not being in the game atall, ex Side attacker Paul Carr failed to put away many chances. Just over 10 minutes after Barkingsides penalty the ball fell to an awaiting Stuart Fergus who had been having a great game and fully deserved the strike that then put Burnham 2-1 up much to the annoyance of the away fans.

However in the 79th minute a mix up in the Burnham area allowed Jamie Clarke to once again level things up and secure the much needed point on the table for Barkingside. Barkingside will now play London Apsa in the league but must be looking to up their performance.



Barkingside V London APSA 06/12/08 Essex Senior League

Rob Budd Reports .............................

The ongoing floodlight repairs at the Oakside Stadium meant that Barkingside FC once again had to seek a change of ground venue for todays Essex Senior League battle. And Barking FC's ground Mayesbrook Park was the setting, on a very cold and bitter Saturday afternoon. To add to this Barkingside also were without the injured Gregg Thompson and Dominic Harkins, both players having a vital impact on the Side.

A poor turn out in crowd numbers didnt stop the Side starting off very strongly knocking the ball about with precision and ease and really showing APSA who was in control of the match. Side welcomed new comers Chris Mitchell and Ex Bowers & Pitsea striker Dean Allen who was given Captain duties.

A great build up ensured Leonard Remy put the Side ahead after just 3 minutes much to the amazement of the visiting team. And it wasnt long after that the much in form Bradley Jones nipped in to smash the ball into the net after 9 minutes, Side were now full of confidence.

However Side missed lots of chances to really put the game out of APSA's reach and went into half time only 2 goals up, not punishing APSA's very poor defence.

The second half saw a totally different London APSA team and it was apparent words must of been spoken in the visitors dressing room.

Barkingside made a change in the 66th minute to allow Billy Fairbanks a chance to show his stuff as he was replaced by the frustrated Jamie Clarke.

APSA really pushed Barkingside and on the 70th minute the ball was rolled out to the right side of the pitch a good 25 yards from Side's goal, enter Ruel Sandiford who blasted the ball with fury and venom to score a goal that one would say would not of looked out of place in the Premiership. Sandiford lapped up all the praise from his fellow team mates and it was back to business from the resulting kick off.

Side now looked worried and a shadow of the team they were from the first half missing chances from leading goalscorer Chris Lewis who clearly was lacking fitness for all to see.

Another sub by Side on 76th minute saw Jordan Tolan replaced by the awaiting Anthony Jones and the last change was on the 78th minute goalscorer Brad Jones off for Besar Zeneli.

And right on time captain marvel Dean Sumner made Side goalie Matthew Cope pick the ball out of the net with a very well worked piece of football on the 90(+4) minute virtually the last kick of the game to see Barkingside drop 2 points but London APSA gain 1.

All in all a fair result but one Barkingside will feel they should of achieved more from, Side now play Stansted FC for the 2nd leg of the Quarter FInal in the Essex Senior League Cup, the game again to be played at Barking FC.

GOALS - REMY (3) ,  B.JONES (9)






1) Mark Palmer 2) Jamie Langton 3) Chris Charlery 4) Paul White 5) Craig Dennis 6) Wheeler 7) Leonard Remy 8) Dominic Harkins(c) 9) Chris Lewis 10) Wayne Vaughan 11) Jordan Tolan

Subs- 12) Mark Steadman 14) Danny Calloway 16) Christian Tzar 17) Besar Zenelli 18) Harry Stevens

Result - Barkingside F.C. 3  v Stansted 1 (Barkingside win 4-3)

Goals- Vaughan(47), Remi(78), Lewis(89) (Goal for Stansted scored by Number 17, Danny Demetriou(86) )



Site Last Updated - 30/03/2016 13:02:03
Click for MapWikanikoWork from Home
sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy