Get your free website from Spanglefish

1233132121 Gerard

Gerard (Robert) Baden Clay, was born on 9 September 1970 at The Firs Nursing Home in Bournemouth, the elder son of Nigel (Gerard Arden) Clay (see page 107) and Elaine (Isabel Nora) née Hughes.  Elaine flew back from Africa for the birth, and was met at Heathrow by her husband's brother, Robin, who then flew out to Africa and stayed with Nigel just before Gerard was born.  Gerard was christened at Hampton Court on 1 November 1972, and named after his father's father, and Gerard's father's elder brother Robin was godfather (by proxy).  Susie de Candole, who married Robin fourteen months later, was at the christening.  Elaine took Gerard back to Africa on  ______________   



On __________ at_______________ , Gerard married Allison Dickie ofIpswich, Queensland, and they have three daughters:

Hannah Betty        Born in _______________ on ___________________ and christened at _______________ on __________

Caroline  Born in _______________ on ___________________ and christened at _______________ on __________

Eleanora Born in _______________ on ___________________ and christened at _______________ on __________

Gerard decided to set up as an Estate Agent, and formed "Century 21" on a franchise, . . . . .


Allison Dickie

Allison was born in ___________ on 1st July 1968, the daughter of Geoff and Priscilla Dickie of Spencer St, Redbank, Ipswich, Queensland. Allison's appetite for travel was whetted as a 10-year-old at Redbank State School. An inaugural member of the Australian Youth Ballet, she toured the UK, including the Edinburgh Festival.

Educated further at Ipswich Girls' Grammar School where she became vice-head girl., she went on a Rotary exchange program to Scandinavia where schooling was different from the same-sex regime she was used to. Allison laughed at the memory: "Scandinavia was completely different. There's drinking and smoking at school. And there were all these boys around," she said Returning home a year later, Allison enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts course at the University of Queensland, learning Japanese and majoring in psychology.

In April 2000, Queensland Times journalist Jayde Walker interviewed Allison and found her to be thoughtful, optimistic and adventurous.  "One thing I try to work on is living in the moment. I think sometimes it's a very difficult thing to do," Allison said at the time.

After graduation, she had a short stint as a Japanese translator on Heron Island, and then started as a consultant at Flight Centre in Brisbane.  Her success there resulted in her being appointed a year later as manager of the Ipswich Flight Centre branch.  In her spare time, she raised more than $13,000 for charity and was crowned Miss Brisbane. She also was named Ipswich Young Business Woman of the Year.  "It was a good process. They judged you on personal attributes as well as business and what you'd done for Ipswich and the business community," Allison said.  "They really do work hard to promote Ipswich and, in particular, women in Ipswich."

From Ipswich, she headed back to Brisbane to take the role of Flight Centre's Queensland manager for human resources. A year later, the then 27-year-old was promoted to global human resources manager, responsible for more than 3000 employees worldwide.   During this period, Allison met Gerard, who was the national manager for 24 Hour Flights.   He offered to fix her computer and she sheepishly admitted to having lots of computer problems.  


Their honeymoon turned into a working holiday that ended in Switzerland, at the Kandersteg Scout establishment.

Flight Centre called them back to Australia, with Allison taking the role of staff recruiter and trainer and Gerard becoming assistant director.  Ms Walker's story said Allison was "filled with bright prospects when considering her future".  "At the moment, I'm at a fairly transitional period in my life," she said. "I've always had goals and this is the next big step. It's a strange time; it's been good to just sit back and have the time - and then be able to say which direction to go in."

During their honeymoon, they travelled to South America, and Allison took an anti-malarial prophylactic, which re-acted with her contraceptive Pill to cause her permanent severe and chronic depression, but she forbade Gerard to tell anyone about it, until five years later she allowed him to tell his parents.  This depression was compounded by severe post-natal depression following the births of her three girls and a miscarriage.   In May 2004, when her father-in-law Nigel was in England for the funeral of his mother Betty (and en-route to Nova Scotia for the wedding of his second so Adam), he confided to his brother Robin their grave fears for Allison’s mental health.

On Thursday evening, 19th April 2012, Allison disappeared; her partially decomposed body was found ten days later in the river.  On 13th June Gerard was charged with her murder.

Click for Map WikanikoWork from Home
sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement