Stay Safe from Scams
The Trading Standards Department of the Highland Council keeps us updated about various scams which are current in our area, and encourageS us to get the message out about reporting incidents as promptly as possible.
Trading Standards also works closely with the police and Crime Stoppers in tracking those they can, and prosecuting as appropriate.
Our Scams talk is wide ranging as there are many many different types of scams and they are ever changing. Our speakers will respond to specific scams which any one wants to know more about, but generally the talk will cover:
- Nuisance phone calls from a huge range of sources.
- Microsoft calling about apparent computer problems.
- Your bank calling to tell you about activity on your account
- Advertisements for miracle cures.
- Lottery and competition wins.
- Investment opportunities - and so the list goes on.
The over-riding advice relating to this talk is to emphasise the need to think twice about offers and NEVER GIVE OUT BANKING DETAILS TO ANYONE!
NEVER GIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION ON THE PHONE!
DESTROY PERSONAL DETAILS FROM ALL MAIL BFORE BINNING!