This page is under continual construction and to be used for links to documents, images and research.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN
INSPECTORS REPORT HELD UNTIL 2044
The Inspectors Reports for the Martha Frew Childrens Home at Crossford for the period 1955-1968 are held at the National Archives of Scotland (<www.nas.gov.uk/>; email@example.com), Ref: ED11/816. Unfortunately, due to the Data Protection Act they are unavailable for public inspection until 1 January 2044 at the earliest.
KEAVIL HOUSE HISTORY
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (<www.rcahms.gov.uk/>; firstname.lastname@example.org) hold a collection of photographs of the building that the home occupied. Formerly and subsequently known as Keavil House, the photographs date from 1977 and 1996, Ref: NT08NE 308.00
FIFE COUNCIL ARCHIVE RECORDS, MINUTE BOOKS, PLANS, LEASE
There are also some records of the Martha Frew Childrens Home at the Fife Council Archive Centre (Tel. No. 01592 583352); Andrew.Dowsey@fife.gov.uk).
1a) Building control plan dated 1963 for permission to add a sick room to the building (our ref DG/FCC/1/63/19).
1b) Appeal by Dunfermline Town Council against the valuation of the home, c.1956 (our ref FC/LA/5/12).
2) minute books
The main sources they have for the history of the home are the minute books of Dunfermline Town Council and the minute books of Fife Regional Council.
Before 1975 you would be able to piece together some information about the home from the Dunfermline town council minutes. The minutes will include references to repairs to the building. They might also mention changes in the number of staff or other costs affecting the running of the home.
Local government was reorganised in 1974/75. In Fife the burghs and the county council were replaced by 3 district councils and a regional council. Under the new system the Martha Frew Home belonged to Fife Regional Council. This is confirmed by the 1978 valuation roll.
Minutes of Social Work Committee of Fife Regional Council, 1975-80.
In May 1976 a sub committee decided that the Martha Frew Home was surplus to their needs:
21st May 1976 meeting of the Fife Regional Council Social Work Standing sub committee para 288.b
'following on a report by the Chairman, the sub committee agreed to declare this property surplus to Social Work requirements, and recommended that it be offered to Dunfermline District Council, if there was no other Regional use for it.’
(our ref FRC/13/1/1).
The minutes are available, but not any of the reports presented to committees.
No reference to the Home in the index to the full meetings of the Fife Regional Council between 1976 and 1980.
But at the meeting of Fife Regional Council 27th February 1979. One of the writs/title deeds to be signed and sealed was
Lease of Keavil Mansions, Crossford in favour of J A and J F Wright Hotels Ltd (our ref FRC/1/1/2).
The valuation roll of 1st April 1980 does not mention the Martha Frew Children's Home. There is an entry for ‘Keavil Mansion Inder [?under] recon.’ The owner is Fife Regional Council with JA and JF Wright Hotels Ltd as tenant.
Is it possible that this is the Children's Home building?
"Dunfermline Press". 17 April 1948, page 2, columns c-e. "Dunfermline Town Council. Estate and Properties to be Purchased." [NLS Shelfmark: Mf.N.56]
"Dunfermline Press". 2 April 1955, page 4, columns c-d. "Too Large for Needs of Dunfermline. Accomodation at Children's Home". [NLS Shelfmark: CB.2/163(1-)]