Welcome to Fortrose Scottish Country Dance
Scottish country dancing is a great way of getting together with friends, making new friends and exercising both the body and brain. We dance jigs, reels and strathspeys to traditional Scottish music and the emphasis of our group is on having fun.
Corona Virus (COVID-19) - it is now permitted to dance indoors (from 9 August, 2021) and we are restarting from 20 September. Please read the Covid Guidance , tab on left, and watch this space for updates.
Our Group celebrated its 70th Anniversary in 2018 at our Annual November Dance Rally.
Key facts :-
- we meet in the Gordon Memorial Hall, Rosemarkie on Monday evenings from late September to early April. See calendar for dates.
- the main class is from 7:30 to 10:00pm. Quite often we hold a beginners/improvers session from 7:00 to 7:30pm. Class will be from 7:30 to about 9:30pm initially from 20 September, 2021.
- We're affiliated to the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.
- We're cheap! An evenings dancing only costs £2.50 for non-members and £2.00 for members (annual membership fee is £5) with a cup of tea/coffee and a biscuit included. From 20 September, 2021 we're going to charge a flat rate of £3/head (no refreshments initially).
- beginners, experienced dancers and visiting dancers are all made welcome and each week's dance programme is always flexible enough to suit all levels of ability. Sorry but no new beginners in the meantime. Watch this space for any change - we would like to welcome you into our group as soon as we feel comfortable about doing so.
- SCD is for everyone - our dancers ages vary from 17 to 70++. You just need to have reasonable mobility, a sense of rhythm and a sense of humour. We usually have about 20 dancers each week.
- we normally hold two main social events each year which are attended by dancers from near and far:-
- a Dance Rally in November when we dance to a live band and have a buffet supper
- a party in February when we dance to a live musician and have a buffet supper
Our social events are cancelled in the meantime but we hope to organise something in the New Year.
- some of our dancers attend the many dances, organised by other groups, that take place within reasonable travel distance. We've also been known to take part in the occassional dance competition and have even performed at an international folk dance festival in Austria! .Last November we took part in 'Unravelling the Celtic Knot' when we danced at Fortrose Cathedral.
Please use the tabs on the left for more information about our Group.
Some of our team members, together with Jimmy Hill (Adjudicator) and Gillian Cummings (Pianist). We competed in both the Ladies Section and the Mixed Section of the Inverness Music Festival at Eden Court in February, 2020. Both our teams were placed in the commended category of awards and the adjudicator praised us 'for giving a very good social performance'.