|Edderton Old Kirk | sitemap | log in|
Internally there are galleries in the north aisle, with a segregated front row for the Laird and his family, and over the east and west ends of the nave also with gated front rows. In Edderton these pews were probably used by the Factors, and any tacksmen (Scottish Gaelic: Fear-Taic, meaning "supporting man" who was a land-holder of intermediate legal and social status) and wadsetters (a creditor to whom a wadset is made, corresponding to a mortgagee), who would have been expected to make a payment for their seats.
These galleries all looked down on to the splendid two tier canopied pulpit and precentor’s box dating from 1794. Small elders' boxes with interesting detailing flank the pulpit.
The areas below the east and west galleries are closed off, but the original pews are still in place.
Facing the pulpit are two rows of pews whose backs fold down to form four long Communion Tables. There is no electricity in the church, but there are some remains of the original oil lamps which would have illuminated the building.