St Swithins Exterior
Located at the top of Church Lane in Sproatley and standing in a leafy and tranquil setting, St Swithins can be accessed via the old Lych Gate which leads onwards towards to the porch which houses the main entrance to the Church. The support housing for the Lych Gate has walls constructed of brick and stone and its slated roof is supported by large timber beams. It was designed and built in 1899 by John Bilson of Hull to commemorate Queen Victoria's reign. A wooden plaque on the left inside wall of the Lych Gate bears the following inscription:-
'He that is once born, once must die. To the glory of God and to commemorate the long and glorious reign of Victoria. Queen and Empress. This Lych Gate is erected A.D.1899'
The rear of the Churchyard contains a rock thought to have been deposited during the Ice Age; it was restored and fenced by members of the Sproatley Womens Institute for European Heritage Year in 1975.
The base and part of the shaft of a medieval cross can also be found in the rear of the Churchyard. It is thought possible that the cross may have previously been standing in the south of the village. It is further thought that these remaining pieces from it may have been removed to the nearby rectory-house garden by the 1840s and they are now kept in the churchyard.
(click on the pictures to enlarge them)
* All pictures copyright 2012