The earliest record is found in the Register of Simon of Gaunt, Bishop of Salisbury 1296-1315. He ordered the Rector of this - and the Rectors of some neighbouring parishes - to have their churches ready for consecration during the week following St James Day (July 25th) 1302. It is possible that the lower part of the Tower may have been built before that time. It is of unusual design, with the recessed window and internal supporting pillars.
The 1302l Church probably consisted of Chancel, Nave and Tower, the aisles were probably added in Tudor times. All that remains of that era are a couple of odd panels saved from a bonfire of what then remained of the screen at the 1866 re-build.