In line with other museums across Scotland, the Strachur Smiddy Museum and Craft Shop will remain closed until it is deemed safe for the volunteers and visitors. Please refer to this page for up to date information on when we are able to open. Thank you for your patience.
- Enter the past as you step into an 18th-century blacksmith’s smiddy, carefully preserved with forge, bellows and anvil, cobbled floor, tools of the trade and beamed ceiling.
- If you pick a weekend when the blacksmith is at work, observe him fashion ironwork such as fire pokers in the traditional way.
- Watch the film of the Smiddy’s history, how to make a horseshoe, and the opening day of the Museum.
- Read about the four generations of the Montgomery family blacksmiths in Strachur. You'll see that they all lived to a ripe old age.
- Purchase a souvenir such as a horseshoe, or a locally made gift from the craft shop.
- You can buy cards, postcards, or photographs with which to remember your visit to Strachur Smiddy Museum