|St Maelrubha's Church, Poolewe | sitemap | log in|
Welcome to the Web-site of St Maelrubha's Scottish Episcopal Church, Poolewe.
This is a newly created site, we will be adding to the content and making various changes as we acquire information - please call back.
St. Maelrubha's Church is one of the western most churches in the United Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness whose Bishop is The Rt. Rev. Mark Strange.
Curate: Rev. Heather Widdows, 01445 712 176
Vestry Secretary: Mrs Joan Deakin, 01445 731 394.
Services of Holy Eucharist are held every Sunday at 11am and on Wednesdays at 1030am in the church hall. On the first Wednesday of the month the service is at 1730pm.
Sunday services are announced by the ringing of the church bell which was gifted to St Maelrubha's by the congregation of St Columba's Church, Southwick, Sunderland.
Also part of our charge are our sister churches at Courthill Chapel at Kishorn where Holy Eucharist is at 1030am on Sunday and St Donan's at Nostie, Kyle of Lochalsh where Holy Eucharist is at 1030am on Sunday.
All visitors to this beautiful part of Scotland are welcome to attend our services and to take Holy Communion with us if their own church permits it.
St Maelrubha's a short history.
Episcopal worship in the North West of Scotland suffered severe oppression from 1745 until the late 19th Century. In the early 1950’s an Itinerant Priest was appointed to minister to the West Coast of Ross (excluding Ullapool), Brora, Dornoch and the Black Isle. Services in Gairloch and District were conducted fortnightly in various venues until 1960 when Poolewe Village Hall became the home of Episcopal Worship. On being advised that the hall would have to be demolished the congregation sought permission to build their own Episcopal Church in Poolewe. That permission was given and a building fund was started. The fund attracted grants from the Episcopal Diocese and Province. A cow byre gifted to the congregation by a local crofter was pulled down to be rebuilt on a site donated by the landowners, the MacDonald-Buchanan family.
This, the first Episcopal Church and to be called St. Maelrubha’s, built since 1745 was dedicated by the Bishop Rt. Rev. D. MacInnes on 8th April 1965. An historic event!
Easter Sunday 18th April saw the first Holy Communion and a Baptism celebrated in the church by the then Itinerant Priest Rev. S. A. T. Mallin.
Over the years prudent stewardship and sale of some land has enabled the congregation to build a church hall and a two bedroom holiday home attached, both of which provide the church with income through their hire.
Fair Trade Church
St Maelrubha's Church is now registered as a Fair Trade Church.
Enquiries for church hall bookings should be addressed to Mr. Mike Somers 01445 731 097 and enquiries about church house lettings can be sent to Mrs. Jenny Wiseman on email@example.com or 01445 731 177.
Find out more about the Scottish Episcopal Church at www.scotland.anglican.org
Sign up for news about the Scotish Episcopal church at www.inspires.org.uk/subscribe
Charity number SCO 20389