SpanglefishInverness British Legion Pipe Band | sitemap | log in

Archive                  

 

ROYAL BRITISH LEGION SCOTLAND

INVERNESS BRANCH PIPES AND DRUMS
 

The Pipe Band of the Inverness Branch, Royal British Legion Scotland owes it’s formation to the members of the Inverness Branch of the National Association of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers, an association which was eventually incorporated in the British Legion on it’s formation in June 1921.

Much of the following information is extracted from the recorded minutes of that Association,

          ‘Minutes of a Special Meeting held on Tuesday 20th May 1919 at

           Queen Marys House, 29, Bank Street, Inverness at 8pm.

           Mr J Rowan                 Presiding,

           Mr W Macleod            Secretary,

           Mr A Wight                 Treasurer.   

           The prospects of forming our Association Pipe and Drum Band

           were intimated and more particulars are to be reported on at the

           next meeting.

                                                                                     M Johnston

                                                                                      Chairman’

 

 


 

 

            ‘A special meeting of several members of the National Association of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers, Inverness Branch, was held at Queen Marys House, Inverness, on the 24th May 1919 to consider the possibility of forming a pipe Band, under the name of the Association.

                Mr Rowan presided and declaring the meeting open, intimated the  business they proposed dealing with.  Mr Prince submitted a list of  Pipers and Drummers and as he had more or less interviewed them all he had full hopes that the names on the list would all join this venture, it was agreed to form a Band.

            The following appointments were made,

            Pipe Major                         John Ross, 3 Innes Street

            Proposed by                       W MacDonald, Reay Street

            Seconded by                       W Munro, Shore Street
 

            Drum Major                        J Fraser, 79 King Street

            Moved by                            W Stewart, Huntly Street

            Seconded by                        W Horne, Academy Street
 

           Band President                      W W MacDonald, Maryhill

           Moved by                              W MacDonald, Manse Place

           Seconded by                          Drum Major J Fraser
                                              

            Hon. Secretary/Treasurer    Mr C MacDougall, Ballifeary

            Moved by                             Mr Robert Macleod

            Seconded by                         Mr M Johnstone
 

           The necessity of forming a Sub-committee to carry out formation  arrangements was left to the Pipe Major to select two members also the Drum Major to select a similar number.  The Pipe Major not being present Mr Prince undertook to call him and inform him of the meetings findings and to get from him his nominated members.  Messrs McCallum and MacDonald, Wells Street were nominated by Drum Major Fraser at his request.
 

            The furnishing of instruments was considered.  As the majority of Pipers were known to have pipes of their own the question of    obtaining drums came up.  Mr R Macleod kindly undertook to write Col John Campbell, Kingussie, to enquire if he had any drums in his possession for disposal.


Representatives of the members interested in the Band were   requested to attend a General Committee meeting of the association on Tuesday the 29th June when authority and sanction to carry on the Bands formation would be given.’

 


 

 

 At an Association General Committee meeting held on Queen Marys House on the 29th May 1919 several of the enthusiastic Band Committee were present.

The General Committee approved of the forming of an Association Pipe Band and authority was given to Band President MacDonald to incur accounts in the name of the Association for any immediate necessities required to enable the Band to carry on with practices.  The Committee, at the Band Presidents request agreed to appoint at their monthly meeting representatives to act on the Band Committee.  The first chanter practice was arranged for Saturday 31st May in the Club rooms.

 

 

The next Association meeting was held on the 3rd June 1919 at the usual venue, the Band committee was formally appointed and W Chisholm was nominated as Pipe Sergeant.  This started a long association with the Chisholms and the Band, at one period during the 1930’s there were four Chisholms playing with the Band and the same time.

 


 Inverness British Legion Pipes and Drums 1932

        

 Picture taken at Craig Dunain 1956

On the front page of the British Legion Magazine 1966


The Band after winning first prize at the Strathpeffer Games (circa) 1964-65
One of it`s members continues to play with the Band. Drum Tutor Billy Macgregor ( 3rd L back row ) .  Roddy Shanks (3rd L front row) is also still playing and is the Band President of the Grade 3 East Kilbride Pipe Band. After leaving Inverness for Edinburgh he played with the Grade 1 Woolmet and Danderhall Pipe Band.  

 





Click for Map


Plexus Media
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy