Get your free website from Spanglefish
This is a free Spanglefish 2 website.

1233134 Wilfrid 1874-1960

Wilfrid Henry Clay, was born on 13 February 1874 in Stapenhill, the fourth and youngest son of Charles John Clay and Aggie née Arden.

Sponsors at his baptism were :
     Albert Arden ‑ his mother's brother
     Dick Bott
     Alice (Lady Chetwode)

He was educated at Repton and New College, Oxford.  During the First War, which broke out when he was 40, he was a Major with the North Staffordshire Regiment, and was awarded the M.C.  In 1906, when he was 32, he created the Ryknield Motor Company, but in 1910 the company was sold to Baguley Cars, which had both Wilfred and Ernest Baguley on its board, the latter as managing director.

On 6th June 1912, Wilfrid, his oldest brother Arthur and his wife Bridget, and his half-sister Hilda set off to drive across Europe (and the Alps) to Italy, and arrived back on 6th July - here is an edited account of that trip.

On 12 Nov 1914 Wilfrid was gazetted Second Lieutenant in the 6th Battalion, The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire) Regiment w.e.f. 30 September, 1914 - Captain, 1916; Major 1918.

It is thought that Wilfrid was awarded the Military Cross.

When Wilfrid was 45, he was married on 24 June 1919 in All Souls, Langham Place, London, to Maud Price‑Jones, then 27.  They had met during the War in France.  They had a son and a daughter :-


(Mary Arden) "Molly"                   was born on 15 May 1920 in Arbrey, Nuneaton.  She worked at Bletchley Park during the Second World War.  She died at Wncanton in 2002.

Michael (Henry)                              was born on 13 August 1922.

They moved often after they were married, but mainly in the Burton-on-Trent area (?).

Wilfrid and family lived at Chelfham Mill, Stoke Rivers, N. Devon

After retirement, he and Maud ran a souvenier shop in Prestatyn for many years.

Wifrid died on 29 February 1960 in St Asaph, Denbighshire at age 86


Maud née Price‑Jones

Maud was born on 13 January 1892 in Mold, Wales, the daughter of William Price‑Jones of Brwyn Derwen, Mold.  She had a wonderful singing voice.  Latterly, she and her daughter lived at Drakes Cottage, North Cheriton, then a part of the estate of Hardings, the home of Ralph Clay, Maud's nephew.  Due to a medical condition, both her legs had to be amputated when she was 75, but she was fitted with short artificial legs which restored some mobility.  She died on 31 September 1969 in Wincanton at the age of 77.

Click for Map
sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement