SpanglefishA Walk Through Derbyshire's Past | sitemap | log in
Derbyshire Times July 20th 1901
06 February 2012

Fall of Coal at Holmewood Colliery

Inquest On The Death Of A Collier

On Thursday,Dr.Green,deputy coroner,held an inquest at the hospital Chesterfield,into the cause of the death of John Stone,a collier who died on Wednesday morning from injuries received by him through a fall of coal in Holmewood colliery,on July 11th.Mr A H Stokes, H.M.inspector of mines,Mr Binns,coalowners indemnity association:Mr J Middleton,Chesterfield, representing the Hardwick Colliery Company:Mr Chambers manager of the Holmewood mine:and Mr W E Harvey of the miners association  representing the relatives of the deceased, were present at the inquest.

 Alice Stone,Church Row,North Wingfield, identified the deceased as her husband.

 James Cannon,Chesterfield,a fitter in Holmewood colliery,stated that on July 11th he was working on the same face of coal as the deceased,and about four or five yards away from him.Between 8 & 9 o'clock he heard coal fall,and heard deceased shout.He went to the spot and found deceased under the coal,which had fallen on him.He managed to lift the coal and the deceased pulled himself from underneath the largest lump.He was afterwards conveyed to the pit bottom.

 Edward Johnson,Whittington Moor,said he was working about five yards from Mr Stone at the time of the fall.He saw the place afterwards,but could not say whether the spraggs had been rightly set or not.A sudden "bump" would have caused the fall.

 Alfred Herbert,night deputy in the pit,stated that he saw the place several hours before the accident and again the next evening.The coal lay as it was when the deceased was removed.Both spraggs were almost run out.They appeared to have been set properly.

 Martin Cassidy,day deputy,stated that he saw the place half an hour after the accident.He found that that the coal had broken over the two spraggs,and had pulled one spragg out with it.There were spare spraggs in the stall.

 Death was stated to have been the result of the injuries. When admitted to the hospital the deceased suffered from a compound fracture of the left leg,and six fractured ribs on the right side.

 The jury returned a verdivt of accidental death. 

Click for Map

WikanikoWork from Home