SpanglefishGlenorchy Camanachd | sitemap | log in
Glen's Cup Run Comes To A Halt!
20 July 2011

Scottish Hydro Camanachd Cup 2nd Round Replay

Lovat 7-1 Glenorchy


Glenorchy travelled north to Kiltarlity for a Camanachd Cup replay which they believed could turn their season around. With Kilmallie awaiting the winners in the Quarter Finals, the incentive was there for both sides for a potential last four appearance in shinty's major tournament. Lovat, however, felt they under-performed in the 1-1 draw at Dalmally in the original tie and felt they had a point to prove - and this they certainly did.

With a 12pm throw-up, Glenorchy were forced to leave Argyll shortly after 8am. Although, thanks to the efforts of the consistently late Fulton Ronald they arrived at Balgate with just under 20 minutes to spare.

As was the case in the first game, Lovat hitman Greg Matheson notched the opening goal within the opening 60 seconds to put the home side 1 up. The Glenorchy response however was not similar to that game and it was the home side who extended their lead after 19 minutes courtesy of wing centre Euan Ferguson. Glenorchy were not without their own chances and the attacking formation which was set out by manager, Allan MacKechnie with Grant MacPherson taking up the full forward position was creating openings. MacPherson was looking very dangerous and had a few shots which whistled just past the post and bar.

Lovat were also creating chances, as was to be expected, and that man Matheson evaded his marker Ewan Murray to fire Lovat's 3rd and his 2nd high into the net past Glen shotstopper Graeme MacKechnie. This time though Glenorchy did respond immediately with MacPherson linking up nicely with James Livingstone to fire low into the net to make it 3-1.

After half an hour Glen had a chance to extend their lead thanks to superb link-up play between forwards Duncan Smith and Alec MacPherson with the latter seeing his strke well saved by the Lovat goalkeeper. The next goal in the game was always going to be important and it was the home side who got it after 38 minutes through Ferguson again. Then, just 2 minutes later, Owen Ferguson got on the scoresheet when he reacted quickest to a parry from MacKechnie to fire home and make the interval scoreline 5-1 to Lovat.

The open nature of the tie made the 6 goals quite understandable but Glenorchy were feeling rightly very disappointed to go in behind by such a margin given the chances they had created. The management issued a quick encouragement to the boys and told them a quick goal in this half and the tie was back in the balance.

Both sides started the half looking to add to the goals tally with Lovat in particular looking menacing with Matheson bringing out the best in MacKechnie in the visiting goal. Some injuries didn't help Glenorchy's cause. Captain Kieran MacKay suffered a broken nose in an accidental collision with team-mate Findlay Ross, who himself had to leave the field later on with a wrist injury. The loss of this pair who had formed a good understanding in the midfield was a massive blow to the visitors.

These switches meant Alec MacPherson returned to full centre with Grant MacPherson taking up a half back role. This couldn't prevent Greg Matheson from completing his hat-trick after 68 minutes and killing off the game as a contest. Just 4 minutes later it was 7-1 to Lovat when substitute Jimmy MacKenzie struck home a powerful low drive.

Lovat had chances to increase the winning margin but had to settle for 7-1 by the full-time whistle. So, it is Lovat who progress to the next round where they will meet fellow top-flight outfit Kilmallie. Although it was a missed opportunity and a heavy defeat, Glenorchy can feel encouraged by the chances and possession they had and take that into their next fixture which is a home game against Fort William in the Scottish Hydro Premier Division.

Click for Map

SSPC - Property in Scotland
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy