SpanglefishGlenorchy Camanachd | sitemap | log in
Glen Lovin' the Cup!
08 July 2011

Scottish Hydro Camanachd Cup 2nd Round

Glenorchy 1-1 Lovat


There was a welcome break from the rigours of the Premier League campaign for Glenorchy when they welcomed fellow top flight outift, Lovat to Dalmally for a Camanachd Cup 2nd round encounter.

After last week's improved showing against Newtonmore in the league, the home side were optimistic about progressing to the quarter finals of shinty's blue riband competition for the first time in many years. There was some confusion before the game as Lovat, who play in white, hadn't brought their change kit so both sides had a similar look about them as play got underway with a blistering start.

Lovat went 1-0 ahead after only 19 seconds when Greg Matheson reacted quickest to a save from Glenorchy keeper Graeme MacKechnie to tuck the ball home to give the vistiors the ideal start. However, straight from the resultant throw up, Grant MacPherson at full centre for Glenorchy won the contest and the ball broke to Alec MacPherson who played a neat pass into the path of Duncan Smith who nudged the ball past the advancing Lovat full back, Martin Bell, then slipped the ball into the net to level the scores at 1-1.

Chances were coming at a rapid pace at both ends and Lovat were unlucky to find MacKechnie in inspired form for the Glen. The home side almost took the lead after 33 minutes when Alec MacPherson thumped a drive against the post after a scramble on the Lovat box.

The Glenorchy forward line were playing arguably there best shinty of the season so far and Kieran MacKay tested the visting keeper again with a shot from a tight angle. But, there was to be no further scoring so both sides may feel disappointed to go in all square at the interval.

The Glen management team were obviously thrilled with this performance and demanded more of the same after the restart.

The second half didn't quite begin in the same fashion as the opening period and chances were few and far between. Neither keeper was really called into any serious action as both sides were reluctant to concede the goal which could end their cup hopes for another year.

Scott McKillop and Fulton Ronald were having inspirational games for the Glen in defence and the constant running and harassing of wingers, Scott Livingstone and Sandy Leiper ensured this tie was heading in the direction of a replay.

There was one moment of controversy still to come though. It arrived 5 minutes from time when Glenorchy substitute Andy McLean appeared to be upended in the Lovat box. But, referee Colin MacDonald waved play on and this was to be the last action of any note and the tie finished 1-1.

The sides will now have to do it all over again at Kiltarlity in a replay as extra time does not apply to the Camanachd Cup. Glenorchy will hope to put in an improved showing from their league visit north earlier on this season when they were comprehensively beaten 6-0. Next week Glenorchy make the relatively short trip north to take on the Camanachd Cup holders, Fort William in a Premier League tie.

Click for Map

WikanikoWork from Home
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy