SpanglefishGlenorchy Camanachd | sitemap | log in
MATCH REPORT - A Day To Forget!
08 June 2011

Artemis Macaulay Cup - 1st Round

Glenorchy 0-11 Kyles Athletic


A cold and wet day greeted the Premier League pacesetters, Kyles Athletic as they arrived at the Mart Park for this 1st round tie in the Artemis Macaulay Cup. Glenorchy went into the game with a bit more self-belief after their narrow defeat away at Glenurquhart the previous weekend and were optomistic of at least improving on the 8-0 and 7-1 league thrashings dished out to them by Kyles this season.

However, it would not go according to plan to say the least. Just 5 minutes after referee, Innes Wood from Fort William had got proceedings underway Kyles hit the front. A low drive from the edge of the box from Roddy MacDonald left Glen keeper Andrew Smith helpless. Glenorchy struggled to get going and never really looked like scoring before Kyles doubled their advantage after 17 minutes when Roddy MacDonald notched his second from a tight angle. Glenorchy forward Duncan Smith left the field shortly after suffering from sickness and Kenny MacDougall entered in his place.

The home side seemed to regroup after this reshuffle and had a few attempts courtesy of Kieran MacKay and John McNulty which threatened to reduce the deficit. Manager Allan MacKechnie was desperate to get to half time just two goals down but the sucker punch arrived 3 minutes off the break. Dunkie Kerr gathered the ball deep and ran at his marker, Ewan Murray slipping the ball past him then past the onrushing Smith to make the interval score 3-0 to Kyles.

The message from the Glenorchy management team was that the next goal was crucial and if they got it, it was not beyond them to win the tie.

This crucial next goal didn't take long to arrive but unfortunately for the Glen it was the Tighnabruaich men who got it after 47 minutes courtesy of Dunkie Kerr's second of the afternoon. Glenorchy's heads seemed to drop noticeably after this early setback and a 4 minute hat-trick from Kyles' Grant Irvine on 57. 59 and 60 minutes made it 7-0 and there was certainly no way back now for the Dalmally men who had been left shellshocked.

Roddy MacDonald completed his hat-trick after 74 minutes and then went one better than Irvine by adding his fourth with 10 minutes to play which made the score 9-0. The game seemed to turn into a personal duel between MacDonald and Irvine as to who would score more and Irvine notched his own fourth after 84 minutes to take the scoring to 10-0 to the visitors.

Glenorchy introduced James Paterson for his first appearance of the season as replacement for young McNulty in the home attack. Graeme MacKechnie forced Kenny MacDonald in the Kyles goal into his first real action with a good save with his hand. But. Kyles were to have a final say yet and young substitute, Rupert Williamson made it 11-0 with a low, hard shot after 85 minutes.

Overall it was a day to forget for Glenorchy and one which they must banish from the minds if they want to recover quickly. Kyles, on the other hand, proved they are the number one side in shinty at the moment with a ruthless attacking display of shinty and they move into the quarter-finals where they will meet Bute at home. Next up for Glenorchy is a visit from reigning Premier League champions Newtonmore in the Premier League where a more respectable scoreline will surely by in order.

Click for Map

SSPC - Property in Scotland
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy