26 February 2018Action Wins Results on Buses
Berwick Buses discussed at Trades Union Council meeting:
- Border Buses culled evening services from Nov. 2017 - they stopped at Swan Centre. No service after 5.30 p.m. from town to Spittal or Highcliffe/Eastcliffe. Prior Park evening service had been stopped about three years earlier.
- Public meeting expressed anger/disappointment. Petition of ~ 2K signatures handed to Border Buses (who refused to accept it) and NCC.
- Stephen Wood (proprietor of Woody’s Taxis) is running a “taxi bus” service for a four-month trial period, with costs guaranteed by NCC. Taxi stops at all bus stops, runs every hour 6 p.m. to 11p.m. Additionally, the taxi includes Berwick Holiday Centre (never served by Border Buses) and Prior Park. Concessionary passes valid on this service.
- Woody is happy for this service being used. Will continue if costs are covered (at present they are). Might be even more used once holiday season starts. Woody will approach Berwick Town Council for “safety blanket” funding once NCC trial stops. He is also approaching local businesses.
- Positive is that public opinion (meeting/petition) was able to bring about a result here - something we can celebrate!